The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, January 11, 2008

40

Posted by Seeking Solace |

That's me. I am 40 today.

Last night while trying to fall asleep, I was trying to figure out what 40 is supposed to feel like. Am I supposed to feel different? Wiser? Should I feel excited? Anxious?

Then, I thought about my 20's. My 20's were a blur. I spent 8 years consumed with getting my BS, MA, JD and trying to pass the bar exam. I wrestled with my personal demons. The biggest highlight was marrying Husband in 1992. I guess my 20's was the "getting started" phase.

Then, I thought about my 30's. I worked for a small law firm, a big law firm and then for myself. I wanted to carve my niche in the legal community, so I worked long hours. Toward the end of my 30's, I wrestled with whether I should remain in the legal profession or move toward academia. I wrestled with the "Do I want to have kids" thing. Probably the biggest highlight of my 30's was being diagnosed with RA. Basically, my thirties was all about trying to find my place in the world.

Then I thought, I have accomplished a great deal in that time. I earned three degrees, passed my state's bar exam (which is one of the hardest bar exams in the US). I was a practicing attorney. I ran my own business. I married the greatest guy in the world and we are still deeply in love. I found my professional calling by combining the two things I love, the law and teaching. I have wonderful friends. And even though, I still wrestle with my personal demons and the RA, it's not as bad as it used to be. I have come to terms with many aspects of my life. I am in a good place.

So I guess for me, 40 feels like it is now my time. My time enjoy the fruits of my labor. Time to be OK with where my life has taken me. Time to release and let go of any remaining demons. Time change the theme of my life. Time to have fun and enjoy. No worries and no regrets.

So my theme for my 40's is "I will sing a new song."

27 comments:

Weezy said...

happy happy happy birthday to you :)

Hope you have a totally awesome day!!!

Non Tenured Assistant Professor said...

Happy birthday! Enjoy it!

Mandy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rented life said...

Your post is interesting: As my parents have aged I've noticed that they've gotten more relaxed, I suppose that's the same as the "my time" thing. And...does it mean that I have 3 more years to get my shit together? ick.

Happy b-day, sorry we didn't sing to you last night! Have a wonderful day!

"wait for it..."

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! I hope your 40s are fabulous. :)

Ianqui said...

Happy birthday! A new template for a new year (I know it was the other day, but close enough). Hope it's everything you want it to be.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday from the AAS Conference!

I turned 40 a few years back. The way I look at it, turning 40 isn't really so special. After all, we get hung up whenever a digit turns, but if we were using some other numbering system, they that digit would not have changed at this time. In hexadecimal, you are only 28!

Karen said...

A very happy birthday to you!!!

Addy N. said...

Happy Birthday to you! I hope you've had a fun and relaxing day. I like your reflections of the decades- that's a nice way to think about hitting a new milestone!

btw- did your package make it there? I sent it Monday (by Priority Mail), so I thought you would get it by Wednesday.

Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

Happy birthday!

Prisca said...

Happy Birthday and WELCOME to the 40's-- they totally rock and so do you!

Alice said...

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you... ;)

Anonymous said...

happy birthday!!!

comebacknikki said...

Happy birthday! I hope you had a fantastic day! :)

Anonymous said...

Do do do do do, you say it's your birthday,
do, do do do do do, happy birthday to you!

And I love the new template!

Eddie said...

Happy birthday! :-)

RageyOne said...

Happy *belated* Birthday!

What a great reflective post. I hope you had a wonderful day and all the best to you as you sing a new song!

M said...

Happy birthday! (I turn forty this year, too.)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday--sounds like your birthday has been a time of introspection for you!

Lisa said...

I hope it was a great celebration!

Katherine said...

Happy B-Day and welcome to the 40's.

Mad Hatter said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wayfarer Scientista said...

happy belated birthday!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday!!! (love the new template!)

RussianViolets said...

I'm a few days late, but Happy Birthday!!! Caps rule!!!

Seeking Solace said...

Thanks everyone!!!!

Subscribe