The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Another Bold Student

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Message to the student who wrote in his research paper that the case he selected was too hard and he didn't find any additional information because of the limited time he had to do the assignment...

You had 2 1/2 months to work on this project. That is plenty of time to complete it, given that I am only asking for a five to seven page paper. Moreover, the fact that you found the assignment hard or had trouble finding research is not my fault. I stated numerous times in class that you should see me or email me with any questions or problems. You did not do either. Finally, you have some nerve writing in your paper that you thought the assignment was hard and unfair without even making any real attempt to write a coherent paper. You just cut and pasted sources together without even documenting your sources in the body of the paper. You just slapped a Works Cited page at the end with questionable sources. So when you get your "F", don't even think about crying to me about it because it will take every once of strength for mot to tear you a new one. You only have yourself to blame.

Would someone please tell me where they get this arrogance???

7 comments:

Arbitrista said...

Parents and schools who kept telling them how wonderful they were. It's really quite remarkable how arrogant the truly stupid are.

Karen said...

It's not just law students too, my best friend is a theatre history professor and her students are just as ballsy. It's astounding.

It makes me wonder how they get through life once they are out of school.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I have the same problem. They have a whole semester to work on the term paper. I make them turn in a topic a month ahead of time so that they will be forced to think about it, and I even give them back their topic proposal with comments and suggestions of where to look for information. Then, ... .

rented life said...

You are generous--last year I only gave my classes 2 weeks to give me a 7-9pg research paper.

Katherine said...

I've been thinking about and dealing with this issue quite a bit over the past couple of weeks. I think arbitrista points to part of the problem--parents and schools have inflated students' sense of themselves. They've been told their all 'A' students for so long, they have come to believe it.

But I think another part of the problem is the commodification of education. Students see themselves as consumers, and as the cliche goes, the customer is always right. So, no matter what the problem, they're right: the assignment is too hard, the due date is unreasonable, etc.

They paid for an 'A,' so they expect that 'A.' How much or how hard they work doesn't matter, nor does the quality of their work. They bought an 'A' and we're supposed to provide that 'A.'

I do not support this view, but I think this is part of the problem

comebacknikki said...

Whoops... I just left a comment on your other bold student post that was meant for this post. Sigh. This end of the semester stuff is frying my brain.

Anonymous said...

what?? someone actually wrote that IN a paper??

Subscribe