The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Saturday, November 10, 2007

I Waited 24 Years For This and It Was Totally Worth It.

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Thursday night's Police concert was fantastic. There is no question that it was worth the wait and the cost to see these guys reunited.

It took Husband and I a little longer than usual to arrive at the venue. Those of you who know where I live, or may have figured it out by now, know why it took us almost double the time that it normally takes to travel to this cool place. But, once we were parked and at the arena, it was all good.

Until we found our seats.

Usually, I am the one who gets concert tickets. I have incredible ticket karma in that I can get good seats. This time, Husband took over. In his defense, we had to take what we could get.

We were in the very top row. And when I mean the top row...I mean the TOP ROW.

I am afraid of heights, mostly sloping high places that give you the feeling that you are falling. So, as we are climbing the stairs to our seats, I am using the Vulcan Death Grip as I hold Husband's hand. When we sat down, we did have a great view of the stage, but thankfully there were Jumbo-Screens because the guys looked like ants.

What was amazing was that it was only Sting, Stewart Copeland and Andy Summers. No other musicians or vocalists were on stage. No evidence of a backing track either. Their ability to have all the miscellaneous sounds that are a part of the Police's music was so cool. With the exception of a couple of songs, it seemed like they never missed a beat.

Sting was in great voice. And damn is he easy on the eyes! Stewart's drumming and percussion was just phenomenal. And Andy's guitar solos were just a reminder as to why he is one of the best.

Our favorite, hands down, was "Wrapped Around Your Finger". Stewart's use of chimes, cymbals and even a gong magically recreated that songs haunting theme. They also played some tracks I have not heard in ages.

One little faux pas was that Sting slight botched the lyrics to Roxanne, but honestly, I don't think anyone noticed.

It was definitely a fun night. We did not arrive home until 1:30 AM and didn't fall asleep until about 2:30. I cancelled my Friday class which was a good thing. I was dragging most of the day. Poor Husband did go to work. He said he almost did a header into his keyboard!

I guess our rock-n-roll all night days are beginning to fade..just a little.

Here is the set list:

  • Message in a Bottle
  • Synchronicity II
  • Walking On The Moon
  • Voices Inside My Head
  • When The World Is Running Down
  • Don't Stand So Close To Me
  • Driven To Tears
  • Truth Hits Everybody
  • Hole In My Life
  • Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
  • Wrapped Around Your Finger
  • De Do Do Do De Da Da Da
  • Invisible Sun
  • Walking In Your Footsteps
  • Can't Stand Losing You
  • Roxanne

First Encore

  • King Of Pain
  • So Lonely
  • Every Breath You Take

Second Encore

  • Next To You

5 comments:

Prisca said...

Yahoo! Thanks for the set list. It sounds like what they've been doing around the rest of the country so I'm glad you got to hear it live and in person. I'm very jealous.

AliceAcademic said...

Hi Seeking Solace,
I'm de-lurking to tell you my police story, which is one of my earliest memories: I was about 4 years old, not quite sure I understood how the radio worked, but as it played, the announcer mentioned the last song was by the police. I was perplexed. I asked my cousin, "If that was the police, busy playing a song, then who is watching the streets? "

Seeking Solace said...

Alice: Hi! Love the story!!!! Thanks for delurking. I will stop by your blog soon!

Anonymous said...

so glad you had lots of fun!!

RageyOne said...

sounds like you all had a wonderful time. i bet it was awesome!

Subscribe