The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, November 12, 2007

I Am Not Their Mother

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Here's another conversation with a student that just grinds my gears

Student: Do you give extra credit?
Me: No, never.
Student: I didn't think so, but I had to ask.
(My thought: why did you ask then?)
Student: I am concerned about my grade.
Me: Well, it appears you are doing fine, except you are missing a few homework assignments. That can hurt you grade.
Student: Well, I keep forgetting to do them. Can't you remind us in class when homework is due?
Me: Um, no. That's why I give you a tracking calendar at the beginning of the semester with all of your homework assignments and when they are due.
Student: Well, I kinda forget to look at that too.

Mama would be so proud.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy cow. How did you not just start screaming uncontrollably? :)

Lisa said...

My students? (yes, more than one) about two months into the semester

Student(s): Uh, when are your office hours?
Me: They're on the syllabus--on the front page
Student(s): Oh, well I didn't look at it.
Me: {sigh}

Wayfarer Scientista said...

Oh the memories you bring back!

Mad Hatter said...

Here's a conversation I've had with various people in my lab at different times, regarding different things:

Labmate: How do I do X?
Me: I emailed the lab detailed instructions two weeks ago.
Labmate: Oh, I didn't read it. I'll go look it up.
[5 minutes later]
Labmate: Um, I think I deleted the email. Can you show me how to do X?

And these are people who will be getting, or have already gotten, MDs, PhDs, or both!

Abbey said...

Now if only he could remember when your class is to be able to go to it in case you do remind him to do his homework for the class that he forgets to attend and read its syllabus.

Some people just shouldn't graduate. Gah.

Subscribe