The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Haven't Got Time For The Pain

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Another migraine.

I felt it last night. So, I popped an Imitrex and went to bed after House. (No spoiler, I promise!) I woke up this morning with no relief. Once again, another class cancelled. I popped a second Imitrex and slept until about noon. It seems to have gone now. I just have that foggy after-effect feeling that comes with Imitrex.

Husband was doing some research on migraines this morning and he found something I never knew. Migraines do not hit when one is under stress. They hit when the person has calmed down and relaxed after a stressful event. That might explain why most of my migraine attacks happen in the morning.

But, I can't understand why I am having at least one attack a month. Last month was so bad that I had to go to the ER. I am racking my brain to find the trigger. It might be hormonal, since they sometimes fall either before or during that time. It could be stress. I mean, it is the end of the semester and in the words of Archie Bunker "Christmas is at our throats again." I am staying hydrated, so that good. And, I am watching what food I eat.

So, I am going to start a headache diary again.

On another sort of related note, yes, I am being observed tomorrow. I guess it is some requirement or something for new adjuncts. Thankfully, it is my law class and not my quiet CT class. My law students are great. But, I just hate the idea of someone sitting the back of the room watching every move I make. It's not like I haven't been observed before, but the process is so nerve racking.

Hence, the migraine...maybe.

Of course, the topic for tomorrow is something rather dry. Plus, I might double up on topics so that the class runs for the scheduled time which is an hour and 30 minutes. I usually finish my lectures in about an hour. I worry that the chair may have a problem with finishing so early.

Gulp.

OK., I should not be stressing, especially after a migraine attack. But, I am a little nervous. New college means new expectations. Maybe the chair won't like my "dynamic" style, I don't know. I just have those doubts.

I need to stop obsessing. My Sephora package is here. That will take my mind off of things.

8 comments:

RageyOne said...

so sorry you are feeling bad. i hope the pain subsides soon and you can get back to you normal self.

Arbitrista said...

Hopefully it's just a stress headache over the observation, but believe me - I know what it's like to have persistent headaches. It can ruin just about everything else in your life. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Here's to a great observation!

Seeking Solace said...

Thanks everyone!!!!

K said...

My dr calls these "stress-release" migraines. I've had them forever, so I sympathize with you. Hang in there, try different meds, keep that journal....it'll all help.

Anonymous said...

At the risk of sounding like one of those people who have found religion, I have to tell you that eliminating caffeine from my life has had a profound impact on my migraines. I've gone from 5 a week to 1 or2 a month! Caffeine is an evil, evil drug and if you are drinking any of it, try giving it up.

Red wine is a trigger for me, too, but not white.

Seeking Solace said...

Pi: Yeah, red wine is a problem for me too. But someone told me that organic red wine does not have the stuff that causes migraines.

I tried giving up caffeine once. Bad things happened.

AliceAcademic said...

Sorry about the headaches. I remember how much I hated that post-Imitrex feeling.

A friend suggested this, and I was so skeptical, I laughed in his face. Good friend, he still is... But, it has actually helped me a lot:
http://www.triggerpointbook.com/headache.htm
If I catch them in time, it has prevented a full-blown migraine in many cases. I don't take Imitrex anymore. Hope it works for you too!

Subscribe