The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, October 29, 2007

Thoughts From Grading Jail

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I turned myself in to grading jail for the morning. I have two classes of CT essays to plow through for tomorrow.

Some random thoughts:

  • I just wish my students would proofread their work. The world would be a much better place.
  • Spell check is not always your friend.
  • I should put together a grading-hell play list
  • I need more coffee.
  • One of my students wanted extra credit for submitting his essay early. Since when does turning in an assignment early mean that a student should get something in return? There is no quid pro quo here.
  • I really need coffee!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm about to enter grading hell myself this evening. Imagine if we could teach without grading? That would be great.

BTW, one of my favorite bloopers from a student who relied on SpellCheck: "There was a big, pink cock on the wall." :-)

Seeking Solace said...

pi: LMAO!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Counterintuitively enough, I used to grade best to loud spazzy music.

Of course it was only grading math and not something as subjective as your classes (although figuring out partial grading sometimes was a bear)

Abbey said...

I think that students have been lured into believing that turning something in early is like a favor to the prof - thus deserving extra credit. Little do they know, that at least in my own experience, profs are not likely to rush to grade the early papers and thus there's no actual favor by turning them in earlier.

Seeking Solace said...

Ellen: I've been listening to a lot of Van Halen/Van Hagar lately! I can't say it's spazzy, but it is loud.

Anonymous said...

re: VH/VH - if you can scream along to it to release the tension from grading idiocy, or at least bounce to it while letting the red ink fly, it would work to me. I have the new Foo song in my head alot lately and it would be awesome to grade bad math too...

Subscribe