The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I'm Sorry, But I'm Afraid You're Just Too Darn Loud

Posted by Seeking Solace |

My more talkative Critical Thinking class was engaged in a heated discussion about the roles of men and women, particularly during the dating phase. They did not need any prompting from me; the class just ran itself.

I don't like to stifle a good discussion, unless it gets out of hand or people treat each other in a less than dignified manner. And these students did a great job of being respectful.

Then, it happened.

Another instructor popped his head in my classroom and said "You people are having way too much fun. My students are booing me because they can hear your class."

My bad....

I hate it when people insult you with a compliment. And I really hate it when people just don't say what they mean. Couldn't he have just asked me to step out into the hallway and politely asked if we could tone it down a little? That just seems like the classy thing to do.

Oh well, it was just a matter of time before I pissed someone off.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

does your post title mean you're a pinhead?

Ianqui said...

I don't know...I think I'd prefer the humor. It's sort of like "We respect what you're doing and it sounds like it's fun for the class, but it's just a little loud." I'd feel like if he took me out into the hall and said that, it would be a little patronizing. But that's just me, probably.

Seeking Solace said...

Anastasia: Pinhead...no. It just means I have seen Back to the Future WAY too many times!

Mad Hatter said...

You could have told him to ask his students to boo more loudly until they drowned out the sounds from your class! :-)

Abbey said...

Seriously, that's a lot of nerve in my opinion. Maybe he should be a real professor and tell his students to stop booing and start teaching instead of harrassing the neighbors.

Anonymous said...

I wondered if he wasn't being silly to make his point and avoid sounding too bossy towards you. It's a tact I'd take since I wouldn't want to sound like an old prude who can't recognize the sound of enthusiasm in a class. And I would feel like an old biddy if I called the instructor into the hall--like ianqui suggests.

Anonymous said...

He could have done the obvious and shut the door...or talk louder. He seems to have no problem talking loud in other situations....and then he decides to play rap music today. great stuff.

Seeking Solace said...

Righteous Babe: If he does, I'll just break out some ACDC, Hendrix or Zeppelin!

Anonymous said...

wow, clearly he wished he was getting something other than boos!

Subscribe