The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Silence is Golden?

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Husband and I were outside in our front yard talking to one of our neighbors. A guy that I had never seen in the neighborhood came walking toward us with the most beautiful St. Bernard. We chatted for about 20 seconds about the dog. Everyone began to go on their merry way when the dog, who was only about two years old, jerked the leash. The guy hit the dog on the back end which caused the dog to cower in a down position.

I was floored.

I wanted to say "Hey, you asshole. Don't you realized that you are traumatizing your dog by hitting her?" Someone bigger than you should smack you on the rump and make you cower in fear!"

But, I said nothing. It's not that I didn't want to. I really did want to say something. It is unacceptable to hit a dog or any animal. Not only is it cruel, but they don't understand it. Hitting does not solve any behavioral issue, no matter how big or small.

But, my own fear of not knowing this person from a can of paint, sealed my silence. Let's face it. It's a strange world out there. Who knows what kind of reaction I would get, even if I approached it in the most kind and helpful way. Think of the times you have seen a parent smack a kid in public. Do you say anything or pray that it was a momentary lapse of reason?

Or, does silence make one just as culpable?

2 comments:

Non Tenured Assistant Professor said...

I agree with you, hitting doesn't work with dogs or animals. And nobody should do it.

I do understand the oddity moment too. We have a neighbor and he doesn't want to train his dog with positive rewards (treats, encouragement) but he only wants the dog to do what he says as the dog would magically understand our language. So when the dog doesn't understand, he'll hit the dog. We are a group of dog lovers and we all walk together but we left outside this person from the group because we don't agree the way he's treating his poor 4 legged friend.

And we said that if this continues, we'll let him know clearly that is unfair behavior.
I would love to be able to speak up right away, sometimes I am just too shy to do it especially if I am caight off guard.

Arbitrista said...

I'm not sure how to respond, not having been there. A little smack on the butt is no big deal, but the dog shouldn't be cowering! Sounds like the poor puppy is being abused!

I would have no idea how to behave in that situation.

Subscribe