The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Play On!

Posted by Seeking Solace |

All the cool music folk are doing this one!

What's your earliest music memory?
Hearing my father sing old Motown songs or classic R&B Soul. He had an incredible voice.

What's the first pop song you remember hearing ?
Pretty much anything that one would have heard on AM radio like Bread, Seals and Crofts, America.

What's the first rock song you remember hearing?
I am not sure. I think it was either something by Styx or the Kinks.

What's the first classical music piece you remember hearing?
A Fifth of Beethoven. I heard it after realizing that Beethoven wrote it before Walter Murphy sampled it for Saturday Night Fever. (Hey, I was just a kid!)

What's the first piece/song you remember that doesn't fit into those genres?
The Message by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five and Rapper's Delight by the Sugar Hill Gang. The pioneers of rap and hip-hop!

What's the first album/cd you bought for yourself/you asked your parents to buy for you?
"On the Radio" by Donna Summer. I loved that album. (Yes, we bought albums and 45's back in the day!)

What's a favorite song from grade school?
I remember in the sixth grade, you were not considered cool unless you had one of the following: "Off the Wall" by Michael Jackson, "On the Radio" by Donna Summer or "Saturday Night Fever"

I am also convinced that everyone who came of age in the 80"s was issued a copy of "Synchronicity" by the Police.

By the time junior high and high school rolled around, it was all about Duran Duran, U2 and the Thompson Twins. I was a total new waver, alternative chick!

A song that reminds you of school dances?
In junior high, people would go crazy when "Whip It" by Devo was played. Power ballads a la Journey and REO Speedwagon were a big deal in high school!

Which genre do you listen to most now?

Classic rock, thanks to Husband. I am huge fan of the Who, Zep, Clapton, the Stones, Floyd, etc. I also love singer-songwriters, both 70's and current. I love alternative like REM, DMB and Sarah McLachlan, although I think they call Adult Alternative now. I also like some country. There are some good artists out there that have a rock base to them.

I am not a huge fan of today's music scene mostly because it's just someone stealing another artist's hook and adding crappy lyrics to it. The is no musicianship anymore. At least the hair bands of the 80's played instruments...maybe not well, but they tried!

Which favorite song/album/piece from your musical history are your readers least likely to know?

I have a pretty eclectic music library. There's rock, alternative, country, blues, R&B, rap...so much to choose from! Now, I am listening to more stuff that I grew up on like 70's rock and R&B.

I did go through this huge Mariah Carey phase in the early 90's. Must be a mixed girl thing!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We definitely would have gone to the same concerts in high school! Who was your favorite of the Fab Five? I loved John- there's something about tall guys with foreign accents... (I even married one!)

Seeking Solace said...

Simon..definitely Simon! Very easy on the eyes! My best friend and I would fight over which one of us was going to marry him!

Anonymous said...

oh my, I didn't think of my early rap phase but we (my sister, step bro and I) loved ll cool j, run dmc and whodini when i was in grade school. ahhhh. yeah.

Anonymous said...

Whip It - haha! Love it. Great, now I'll have that song in my head for the rest of the day. :)

Subscribe