The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, May 07, 2007

Not Good Enough

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I got an email from Alma Mater Law School about the LL.M program. They rejected my application. They gave the the line of "While your scholastic, employment and extra curricular achievements were impressive, this years pool was extremely competitive. With only a few slots available, the decision making process was extremely difficult."

If you heard a loud "Dammit" somewhere in the Northeast, it was probably me.

I am not sure how I feel about this. Part of me is pissed and disappointed. I thought for sure that I would get into the program. But there is a part of me that is a little relieved. Part of me wasn't evensure if I would have accepted if I made it. It goes back to my fear that what if I complete this program and nothing results from it? I will have a fourth sheepskin on my wall, out $13K and still no job prospects.

Then there is a part of me who just can't take anymore rejection. This is getting to be a bit much for me. People say, "Don't take it personally." or "It's not you." But, come on, after so many people telling you that you are just not good enough, you start to wonder if it is true. OK, I don't mean to beat myself up, but I can't help feeling that maybe it's just me.

Oh, and one last thing...since when do colleges and universities send rejections for graduate programs via email??? Talk about impersonal!

9 comments:

Abbey said...

This really sucks. However, sitting in the student seat right now...I highly discourage others to re-enter the student seat. Think of all the papers you don't have to write, the chapters you don't have to read, the tests you don't have to study for, and all the irritating fellow students you don't have to deal with. I say, they did you a favor.

Yet, I know all to well how much rejection hurts. :(

Prisca said...

I'm sorry, SS. It does suck. It would be nice to have the choice to reject THEM. Once more reason for me not to send them any money....

I know something better is coming your way. I'm thinking of you!

Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

That totally sucks. But honestly, you never sounded like you wanted to go... but of course it would have been better if you had gotten to turn them down.

Anonymous said...

That does suck (especially the e-mail thing. I have had students who have had to go online to the webpage to find out if they got in or not, though!).

And I have to confess that I'm completely embarrassed that I hadn't been over here and keeping up with your situation in the last six months - I got way behind in blog reading this academic year. It's very very late to say this, but your former employers REALLY suck and are stupid not to keep you. Good luck figuring out the next step. (Maybe we should start a business or something!)

Anonymous said...

Via EMAIL!?!? Any way to save a buck on stamps, I guess. Geesh!

Sorry about this, though... rejection does suck - no matter how old you are, no matter how many times you've been rejected, no matter who's rejecting you.

Throw yourself a pity party and then do the whole, "It happens for a reason" drill (where you say it over and over until it sinks in)!

Oh, and that was you I heard? Thought I was hearing things. ;)

RageyOne said...

:( I'm so sorry.

A rejection via e-mail? That is a new one.

Seeking Solace said...

Thanks everyone! Blog folk are the best!

New Kid: No worries!!!! I still love ya!

comebacknikki said...

UGH! That really sucks! :(

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Sorry you didn't get in, but maybe you'll end up doing something you REALLY want to do..

Subscribe