The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Do I Need More Education?

Posted by Seeking Solace |

One of the biggest difficulties with trying to find a job in the academic world with only a JD (I have an MA in a totally unrelated field), is that many undergraduate institutions do not want me because I don't have a PhD. Some potential employers have gone as far to say that those holding a JD need not apply. At the law school level, I am experiencing some resistance because I do not have a LL.M. (Master of Law). But the bottom line is that the market is extremely competitive, especially at the law school level.

The thought occurred to me that I could go back and get my LL.M. Alma Mater Law School has a program that would take about a year to complete. The program also contains a thesis component. I have been going back and forth, trying to decide if this is an option for me.

Pro:

  • It would allow me to specialize my studies
  • It would give some advantage in the job market for law schools
  • It would only take a year, unlike a PhD, which could take longer.
  • I can actually afford to pay for my studies, which will allow me to focus entierly on my studies. I worked two jobs during my final two years of law school, which resulted in receiving average grades.
  • I will make some contacts that may be helpful in the job search when I am done.
  • No entrance exams required. Just the application, transcripts and two letters of recommendation.

Con:

  • Going back to school at this stage in my life seems like a huge challenge. I have been out for 11 years now and getting back into that student mode is a little scary, especially after being the professor!
  • If I complete the program, then what? Will I be in the same position that I am now, except I have one more sheepskin on my wall?
  • Do I continue to look for jobs while I complete my studies? What if I get an offer?
  • (This is the big one) Why am I even considering this? I have accomplished so much in my lifetime, shouldn't I be happy and just enjoy the rest of my life, knowing that I really don't have to work?

I am really hoping for some insight from you all. And if there are any lurkers out there, especially and law folk, I would appreciate you input as well. I have to submit my application by April 1st.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I have no experience in this area, but that won't stop me from proffering input:
1. First, check out this blog if you've not already http://sfrajett.blogspot.com/
She went back to school (law school) after having been a prof and having been denied tenure (which totally sucks!). She describes going back to school at her age - which I think is at least a few years older than you.

2. If the app is due April 1, it seems like it can't hurt to apply at least. You'll still have time afterwards to decide, right? I mean, classes would start in the fall, right? That allows you to keep as many pokers or coals (or whatever the saying is) in the fire as possible. At the very least, it might get you focused on something and give you some hope.

RageyOne said...

Hmmm...that is a hard one. From my viewpoint, your pros and cons seem about equal. I'm like shrinkykitten, I don't have any experience with this area, but I would err toward applying for the program and continuing to look for a position. If you know that ultimately you really want to teach in a law school, it couldn't hurt to go ahead and apply.

On your last comment, about being happy knowing that you could not work. I agree, that is a good feeling to have, but does it really make you happy? Are you satisfied with not working on a daily basis? I think that is the question you have to answer. I get the feeling that you have the need or to work and do something with yourself and teaching is that that thing.

just my 2 cents.

Anonymous said...

also no experience here. your lists do sound pretty equal... can you take some time to just think about what you want from the rest of your life? or maybe do that as you are applying and send in that app as well, and decide about it later?

anyway, good luck...

dr four eyes said...

I'm a lurker, and I'm not sure if I've ever commented here. So, if this is my first time, hi!

The immediate issue: I'm with the other commenters--Could you apply for the program and then decide later? Keeps your options open. Even after you get accepted, you could defer for a year if you're still not sure.

The larger picture: I think you've said before that you don't *need* to work. But from what I've gathered, it seems like you *want* to work, to have some meaningful contribution/engagement/etc. Could you make an explicit decision to take the next year to explore your interests and options and then make a decision?

I've been reading What Now's blog as she's been going through this process, and I've also been living w/ my partner while she goes through it. It's certainly not easy at times--lots of uncertainty, making decisions and then changing minds, etc--but it seems like a great opportunity even so.

Breena Ronan said...

If you don't need to work, why not write some grants? If I didn't need the money I would set up a program that allowed me to teach on my own terms. Or continue adjuncting while starting other projects. Or write a book. Unfortunately I need at least some steady income.

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I think that if I didn't need to work to pay the rent, I'd go to school forever. I like the challenge and I like the structure it gives my time.

If you like to teach college, the LLM sounds like a reasonable place to start. If you end up needing to do some sort of PhD program, maybe you can find a program that will take a maximum number of your LLM credits for transfer, thus reducing your time there as well.

Karen said...

I think it comes down to how much you want to keep teaching/working. If you are committed to continuing to teach, then I would say go for it and get the degree. If you feel like you could embrace the freedom of not working and not get stir crazy, then my vote is to take a break from the grind and cultivate your other interests/desires. Take an art class, join a book club, learn to garden, voluneer or do whatever strikes your fancy. There are very few times (if any) in life we get freedom like that and I'm all about seizing those moments!

Prisca said...

Of course, I'm a bit late to the party, SS. You can be sure I have thoughts on your situation. ;)

If you do the LLM don't you have to specialize? What area of practice would you choose? Who's on the faculty of our dear alma mater that would be good to work with?

I'm like some of your other posters-- I'd stay in school forever if possible (I'm working on it, too!). You might laugh when I say this, but what about doing the librarian thing? I suppose it all depends on if you like research better or teaching. I really think I might have gone that way if I'd known about it. I like the challenge of solving problems without other people's lives depending on it. ;)

Do you have any local alum contacts (women!) that could be of any help?

I'll be rooting for you whatever you choose!!

Check in with me via e-mail if you feel like talking more...

Barry said...

I went back after ten years out of law school (admittedly not in the USA) - I had spent my ten years in law firms but decided to walk away instead of taking the partnership, because I wanted to spend more time studying. Since then I have completed both the LLM and a BA in English (my primary goal, curiously enough). I obtained a very junior position teaching law (albeit not in a Law School) on the strength of promising to do the LLM (and thus had funding for my BA studies), and was fairly quickly promoted. I have subsequently moved over to teach in a proper law school, and it really has been the best possible thing to have done with my life.

If you do do an LLM to leverage your way into a law school, do one with as much of a thesis component as you can, as evidence of research and writing is vital. Even down here (New Zealand) the PhD is seen as the minimum price of entry in some schools - I don't know what the position is elsewhere, but would suggest talking it over with your alma mater or someone already in the profession first. You wouldn't want to do an LLM if they're really looking for a PhD.

Subscribe