The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, December 22, 2006

Why?

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I am at a place where I can talk a little about what happened. So here goes:

I posted that I was required to report to work on Wednesday, despite having all of my grades submitted. I was told that FW (Fuckwit for those of you who are new or forgot) was coming in to challenge the plagiarism. Plus, I, along all the other adjuncts, had not received my schedule for the next semester. So, I literally sat on my ass for most of the day.

Around 2 PM, the Dean called me into her office. She got right to the point in telling me that there were enough instructors to cover my courses and she was choosing not to renew my contract. The chill in her voice, was clear that this was not the entire reason. She began to give me some song and dance about enrollment for the next term being low. I told her that I could not help but think that the real reason had to do with a certain student (FW), and the two other cases of plagiarism that I found. (One case involved a student who was supposed to graduate this semester and needed my Survey of Law course to do so). She said that could not say if it was that, only that she was not going to renew my contract. There was no "I am so sorry" or "I wish I could have kept you". Nothing. It was cold, unsympathetic and unprofessional.

[Let me divert into a little primer on employment law. My status at the college is as an "at will" employee. As an "at will" employee, the employer can fire you for any reason without notice.]

So, I walked out of her office. I knew I was going to cry, so I headed to a stairway. I lost it. GML happened to see me and asked what happened. I told her and I just fell apart. A couple of other colleagues saw me and gave me comfort. Even one of my students saw the commotion and tried to help.

Just then, the Dean comes by and see me crying with my colleagues comforting me. She walks up to me and says "Seeking Solace, what is wrong?" Just like that.

I wanted to punch her in the mouth. I wanted to go off on her. I wanted to say "You insensitive bitch." "You just fired me and you have the balls to ask me such a stupid fucking question?" What kind of crack are you on?"I wanted to leave with some shred of dignity and professionalism, so I literally counted to ten and said "I will be fine." and I headed back to my work area to clear out my stuff. As I cleared out, I told some of my colleagues what happened. The shock on their faces was more than words could describe. And that was it. GML, LB and H helped my carry my stuff out to Husband who was waiting for me. I cried the entire way home.

The truth is, I know why I was fired. People can say what they want about numbers, enrollment, retention. or whatever buzz-word you want to use. I was fired because I set high standards for my students. I have ethics and integrity. I will not tow the line because it makes the college look good. I know it had more to do with FW and plagiarism than any of the bullshit the Dean tried to sell me.

And that is truly sad.

I feel like someone ripped out a piece of my soul. I feel like I am mourning a loss. Everyone keeps telling me that this is for the best. But right now, I just can't accept that rationale. Maybe in a few days, but not now. I am trying to sort through all of this. I cancelled my plans to visit family for the Christmas weekend. I don't want to deal with any of it right now. Plus, I have a horrible head cold. Talk about insult to injury. So, Husand and I are going to spend a quiet Christmas at home with the Boy and maybe travel to Hometown next weekend.

Words can not express my gratitude to everyone for their comments of sympathy and kindness about my job loss. You all are truly the best. Thank you so much!

Well, that's it. I don't have too much more to say right now.

17 comments:

Chaser said...

"What's wrong?"

There you have it in a nutshell, Seeking. That weasel of a Dean doesn't have the thrassos to protect the good students and the good staff from the lousy ones.

Anonymous said...

What dr. lisa said, seriously. This is so wrong. You are handling it well. To say that, I know that is not the most helpful thing right now, but you are.

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

That really sucks. I'm sorry.

It seems that the dean is going to get what she deserves. She'll have a faculty that can't get jobs elsewhere and that is willing to sacrifice their ethics to get by. When it comes time to do college-wide assessment and it turns out that students leaving your former school can't read, write or reason, her head will be on the block and she'll have a more difficult time explaining why she resigned than you'll have explaining that they didn't renew you.

Take care of yourself.

Addy N. said...

That is SO F---ED up in so many ways I can't even believe it. What an A--HOLE that woman is to ask 'what's wrong?', too. That's just shitty. Hang in there.

Wol said...

This is so wrong. I'm spluttering with anger. What an arrogant person to treat you that way.

All I can say is hang in there and take good care of yourself. We're all here to lend a shoulder and listen. The dean will get her comeuppance, and you'll have found a better place, a place where your teaching and ethics are appreciated.

Non Tenured Assistant Professor said...

I am sorry for what happened, I really think your Dean doesn't have a clue of what she is doing and you deserve way way better!
It's hard, but don't worry, you'll find another University where you will be appreciated.
Best of luck! And a hug!

Anonymous said...

I know nothing helps right now, but one thing I'd like to say is that for a long time, you've been posting about your workplace, and it has given me the shivers: the level of stupidity of your administrators, the attitudes of the students, the shitty contractual deal adjuncts have. I think you may be better off, despite how much it hurts.

Good adjuncts can find work elsewhere, and you will, probably at an institution that isn't so whacked.

Anonymous said...

What a dumb ass question "what's wrong". Kudos to you for being able to bite your tongue! I wouldn't have had the restraint.

pi is right, here's to finding new employment in a place with high standards and ethics!

Anonymous said...

One could say something silly like "You are better off without those people.", and that is true. They are jerks. You deserve better. But, you definitely don't deserve to be treated the way that you were. If they were smart, they'd work to keep as many faculty like you as possible. You set high standards. Without faculty like you, their reputation is little more than 13th grde of high school. I guess that is what they want.

I've seen far too many colleges go down this path, and it sickens me. I am so, so sorry that you are caught in the middle of it.

Anonymous said...

Seeking, I am so sorry. This was a terrible thing for the dean to do just right before Christmas. I've seen it before, but I can't imagine what sort of human being can do that to someone else. I think when you can get some distance that this may have been a better thing for you after all (and I agree with everything Pi said), but I know it doesn't help right now when you're still reeling from the pain of having been cut loose after being so dedicated.

I hope that you can let it do whatever it needs to do and enjoy your Christmas, perhaps seeking solace with those that you love in your Boy and Husband.

My email door is always open.

Chel

Prisca said...

That Dean is freakin' insane. I'm so sorry that you had to have that news in that way. Just a horrible situation for you all around. Please know I am thinking about you and thinking litigious thoughts on your behalf. Surely we could come up with some grounds...... ;)

Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

Awful, awful, awful. I am so angry for you. I can't believe she then came out and asked you "What's wrong?" I am disappointed in the educational system for acting on the complaints of an admitted plagiarizer. Argh.

I hope you are able to relax and feel a little better over the next few days. If not, I hope you get some good wallowing time.

Anonymous said...

I think you're mighty brave to have held your tongue. The dean sounds like she's making you the scapegoat to console the student (and his parents???). Is there any point in taking the issue above her level, or is it better just to drop it and find work in a healthier place? My husband went through an unexpected firing ( a week before we went to settle on our house--yippee!)and it took him a while to process it all and get moving again--he used the interim to be our general contractor on the three houses, so he had something to do everyday. So I kind of know how it feels, and I wish for you whatever outcome you want.

Breena Ronan said...

That is so horrible! I'm confident that you will come up with a better job where you will be much happier, but how sad for the students and faculty that are still stuck in that situation. It so unfair of them to treat you that way. It just shows how dysfunctional that place is.

Leslie M-B said...

Oh. My. God. That is beyond effed up. You have far more composure than I would in such a situation.

Please keep us posted on your search for a better, healthier environment where you are truly appreciated.

You're in my thoughts.

Nels P. Highberg said...

Oh. My. God.

rented life said...

(hug) The standards issue is always a concern--and it should be. That's what's wrong with too many colleges I think. Sorry the dean's a bitch. I'm sorry for all this.

Subscribe