The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Why I Live 300 Miles Away From My Family

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I don't blog much about my family. In the past, I have written about my dad and I mentioned that my mom has cancer. Honestly, I think the drama that goes on in my family could fill a whole separate blog or be plot in a Lifetime movie

But I have to blog about this.

My mom has this annoying habit of leaving cryptic messages on my answering machine. "Call me right away, it's important." Usually, it's not that urgent, but I am always afraid that it will be the one phone call where my mom does not cry wolf.

So, I call her, thinking that someone has passed away or is in jail. (Yes, I have family member who have serious trouble with the law. That's why I do not have a license to practice law in my home state. All my clients would be family members.) Anyway, here's the conversation.

Mom: K is pregnant again. She is due in January/ (K is my brother's baby's mama. My brother cheated on his wife, the end result being my Nephew, which my brother does not aw knowledge).
Me: So...
Mom: Well, this is her fourth child. (Nephew was the third) I can't believe she has four kids to four different men.
Me: Mom, you called to tell me this. I thought someone died or something.
Mom: Well, I thought you should know. How is Nephew going to deal with this (Nephew is three years old).
Me: Mom, I don't know. But, it is not our problem.
Mom: I spent the entire day crying over this.

When I finally calmed my mom down, I hung up the phone thinking "I could have gone the entire night without having to know this information." As soon as I got off the phone, Husband says "Let me guess...K is pregnant." "Someone get that girl some birth control!"

Honestly, did I really need to know that K is pregnant? I would probably figured it out when Husband and I stop by during Christmas to visit Nephew. And I am not going to get into the fact that K has another "baby's daddy."

Nothing like family drama at the holidays.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so hear you. One of my brothers can't hold down a job, never seems to have a car, and lives (with his wife and toddler) in a MIL house in my mother's back yard. My mother finds it a major failing in me that I no longer come "home" on Christmas Day. I call it self-preservation.

Michelle

Subscribe