The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, December 29, 2006

Going Mobile...Again

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Husband and I are getting ready to leave for our trip to Hometown for the weekend. It helps that Husband and I grew up in the same town and our families are still there, but that's where the ease of such a trip ends. There is the constant pressure to visit people and there is just not enough time in a weekend to do so. And even though family members say that they are not upset that Husband and I did not visit, I know it's a crock because I end up hearing about it later through the family grapevine.

This weekend it going to be interesting because Husband has plans with his brother for Saturday. I also have plans with Piglet for Saturday as well. So, I figured that Husband and I could visit with my family on Sunday. Since we are staying with Husband's parents, we will be spending a great amount of time with them. But, NOOOOO. Husband informed me that his mother and his brother's wife are planning this family dinner thing for New Year's Eve, despite the fact that we have other plans. This dinner is going to be held at his brother's house which is in Burg City, an hour from Hometown. This dinner thing is not optional because we did not visit for Christmas. So, this means that we will have to stay at my brother-in-law's house overnight and leave on Monday to return to Lake Effect Snow Central.

On top of all of that, I have not told my mom or my in-laws about my losing my job. I am not going to tell them just yet. I just don't want to deal with the fallout. My mom will insist that my losing my job was racially motivated. My father-in-law will have his 20 questions about what happened. Then, I will hear "Why don't you just go back to practicing law?" or "Well, can't you just get a job at X?" And then, to make things worse, my father-in-law will start sending me job information, especially if the job is located in or near Hometown. My father-in-law has been on this quest for the past 15 years to get Husband and I to return to Hometown. Yeah, like that is EVER going to happen.

So, off I go, biting my tongue all the way.

This will be my last post for the year. Have a Happy New Year and have a drink on me!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I know that need to be private with your family. Do what you need, I know that is hard but keep in mind you are strong and this is for you.

I've been there plenty of times. I was there last Christmas. My mother just does not get what she says and does hurts. And I did not have the words to explain nor would she listen.

I'm sending you my good vibes to help you be with your family during your stressful times.

((hug)) Happy 2007 to you! 07 is going to be lucky, you just wait and see!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I know that feeling, too. Good luck.

Happy New Year! May this next year be a lot better!

Addy N. said...

Good luck on your trip! And Happy New Year to you, too! Cheers! btw- I got your email and will email back soon- thanks!

Anonymous said...

Lord. Well, good luck with it all. Do try to have a relaxing time!
Happy new year!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, SS - I just read what happened. How terrible! And the Dean asking you what was wrong like she had no idea - I hate her a lot just from reading that. Hugs to you and I'll be thinking about you as you figure out what's next. Happy New Year!

(this is betty, btw)

Anonymous said...

My first mother-in-law nearly put us on lockdown whenever we visited--my former husband was an only child who refused to move back home because of the iron grip. In my new marriage, we're doing the visiting circle with both families being in two adjacent states. It's hard to reach everyone, isn't it? Have a Happy New Year wherever you go, okay?

Leslie M-B said...

Happy New Year!

And best wishes for a terrific 2007... You've earned it!

Subscribe