The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

How Did I Get into this Mess in the First Place????

Posted by Seeking Solace |

There is a student in my Critical Thinking class who is quite a piece of work. In a discussion about whether states should require couple to seek counseling prior to marriage, he boldly stated that the only reason he married was for the gifts and the free honeymoon. He did not love his wife and they soon divorced. I said I found it rather sad that he viewed marriage in that way. He replied that I should be nicer to male students.

What the hell, dude??? You volunteered the information, so don't criticize the feedback.

Later in the discussion, we turned to the issue of whether courts should entertain lawsuits that reward people for their voluntary behavior. We were discussing the similarities and differences between the tobacco lawsuits and the obesity lawsuits. This same student began to argue the fast food was more dangerous that smoking. While his premise was interesting, his evidence to support it was extremely weak and lack sense or substance. When I tried to challenge him, he became very defensive, claiming I was "picking on him." Then he said the following:

"I wish I could go up against you in a legal case. I would totally beat you. You are just a woman."

He was totally serious.

On the one hand, I admire his moxie, but at the same time, doesn't he realize that I am a trained trial lawyer? I would mop the floor with him.

I don't want to come off as being arrogant. That is not what I am about and I apologize to my readers if I am sounding that way right now. But, I want this guy to learn the art of critical thinking and debate, but I also want him to understand that you do not treat woman or anyone in authority in a disrespectful way.

I could accept the challenge and take this young man to school, or I could be the bigger person and decline. What makes things worse is that word about what happened is all over campus.

How did I get into this mess in the first place????

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i say wipe the floor with his ass, only cuz it would be more fun. but honestly, i have no idea, this is a tough one...

Ianqui said...

I don't want to come off as being arrogant. Whaa? No, I wouldn't worry about that. His comment about your gender is just icing on the cake—no matter what it's idiotic for a student to claim that he'd beat his professor, an experienced trial lawyer.

Don't admire his moxie. Once you perceive that he's challenging you because he has a meaningful intellectual thought (even if he's wrong), then you can start admiring him. For now, he's just a pissant.

Abbey said...

I can't help but be irritated by the obvious sexism in this student. It's still somewhat socking to me that some men still think this way but have the spheres to say it out loud. I too am curious how the class responded on your behalf.

Anonymous said...

I feel so sorry for the poor woman that he married. What horribly low self esteem she must have had to have agreed to marry a jerk like that. How do guys like this attract women, and I have so much trouble?

And, you're not being arrogant. You really would mop the floor with him. In fact, you probably wouldn't have to do a thing. He'd mop the floor with himself once he opened his fat mouth.

betty said...

so many things about this are totally shocking me right now. first the sexism, second the rudness, third the blatant disrespect for a person obviously more educated than him AND WHO WILL DETERMINE HIS GRADE and fourth the way it seems he's trying to get you pissed off just for fun or for a reaction. that kid has serious problems.

how did word get around?

i think you should deal with it in some way - but i'm not sure publicly (which is clearly what he wants) is the best way. i wish i had good advice to give you...but i don't. good luck!

Seeking Solace said...

Thanks everyone for your input and all that. I still don't know what I am going to do about it.

When it happened, I was kinda taken aback. I gave him my best "Are you out of your fucking mind?" look. Then, I said "You know...that may be a possibility. Let me give that some thought."

I really wanted to cuss him out right there. But, I also knew that I would say some things that may regret. I really wanted to show that was not about to fall for his chauvinistic dribble.

He said it in front of the whole class. So, students were going around telling others what happened. Even faculty members know about it. The other students were snickering at him because they know I am a lawyer and he...well...is not.

Alice said...

Well, if other students were snickering, just ignore him. You can't reason with idiots. If he tries to challenge you again, cut him off and ask him to rephrase his comments in a civilized manner (maybe explain how the judge would stop inappropriate behavior in court)?

Subscribe