The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, July 07, 2006

Do You Think I Am Dumb Enough To Fall For That?

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Addy N had a post about students and their medical excuses. I had two similar incidents.

Student #1 has missed six classes. She claims that the reason for her absence is that she has a back injury and is in a lot of pain. So, she has to go to the ER. When I met with her last week, I informed her that the only way I would let her back in the class is if she provides documentation stating that she was in the ER on the days she was absent. I got an email today from her academic advisor:

Dear Professor Seeking Solace

Pain in the Back student is unable to provide documentation from the emergency room because the hospital only keeps those records for 30 days.

Signed,
Academic Advisor Who Just Fell Off the Turnip Truck

My reply:

Dear AAWJFOTT

It seems to me that when a person goes to the ER, she usually leaves with discharge instructions or some other documentation.

Just a thought.

Signed
Professor Not Fooled By Any of this Shit.

Student #2 tore her ACL. I received an email from her academic advisor that the student should be back to class in about a week. Well, that never happened. For the next three weeks, no one heard anything from this student. I, along with other professors, thought that she withdrew because of her injury. Then out of the blue, she calls me at school, stating that she was out and wants to make up her work.

Me: Well, you are really behind. You have not submitted any homework assignments since the end of May. You also did not submit your take home exam which I gave you at the end of May.

Student: Well, I was out.

Me: I understand that, but why didn't you contact me to make arrangements to submit you work and to stay caught up with the class while you were recovering?

Student: Why are you making such a big deal about this? I have documentation to prove I was out.

Me: That is not the point. Yes, you were legitimately out. But what steps did you take to improve your situation? You waited three plus weeks to contact me. I can't give you an extension now because that is not my policy. Had you spoken to me earlier, I would have given you the benefit of the doubt. As it stands, I don't see how you are going to pass.

Student: I just don't understand why you are giving me such a hard time.

If I had "SUCKER" written across my forehead, you all would tell me...right?

2 comments:

luckybuzz said...

This stuff makes me so mad...how can people have the gall to even *try* these things? Grrr, on your behalf. :)

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I'm sure that if they were in high school with similar problems their parents would have made them either do the work or actually go to school -- or, I suppose they'd badger the teacher -- When they get to college they don't seem to realize they are responsibile for their own educations.... and you have to teach them.

Subscribe