The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Morning Walk with the Boy

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I enjoy taking the Boy for walks in the morning. It's like a form a meditation for me. The Boy is a good walker; he does not drag me down the street like most dogs. (Note to dog owners...Gentle Leader. It works wonders!) So, early this morning, the Boy and I went for a stroll through the neighborhood.

The neighborhood is in an older part of suburban Lake Effect Snow Central. There are plenty of sidewalks and trees that line our walking route. It is relatively quiet, with the exception of an occasional dog that barks at the Boy and me because we dared to walk past their turf. The Boy is engaged by the numerous sights and smells. He does attempt to chase a squirrel up a tree, but soon realizes that dogs cannot climb trees. For me, the walk is a chance to clear my head. I like to soak in the sounds of the wind blowing through the trees and the birds chirping its sort of Zen.

On this particular walk, I am thinking about how out of balance I been feeling lately. Just fumbling through it all, if you will. My consciousness has been scattered into different issues, problems and complexities. I can't find a balance in anything. There is definitely too much chaos and I don't know exactly how to remedy it. I wonder if balance will come on its own, so I should not try to force it. Do things really work themselves out if we let them?

As we head home, the Boy seems quite happy. He got his exercise, chased a squirrel, saw a few of his dog friends and peed on many trees. I did not reach any epiphanies or came up with any solutions to life questions, but the chemicals in the brain seem to be bouncing around. And I got some exercise.

Not a bad way to spend the morning.

3 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

That's a great idea -- spending time outdoors with your dog. It's hard to find peace in the midst of chaos, but it sounds like your strategy helped somewhat.

Addy N. said...

A walk! I definitely need one, but it will have to wait until at least Tuesday, as I am still dealing with jet lag (in other words- there is no way I can get up early enough tomorrow to walk, shower, etc. before my 9:00 meeting!). Good for you for taking a walk- maybe I'll go on Tuesday a.m...

Mel said...

yay for dog walks! always a good idea.

Subscribe