The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Hot, Hot, Hot

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Yesterday, it was 91 degrees in Lake Effect Snow Central. Usually, the summers are pretty mild here, thanks to the lake. But 91 is just downright oppressive! We have central air in our house and use the AC about 10-15 days in an average summer, mostly when it is so humid that you can't breathe. Sadly our system was not working, so we had to break out the fans. I felt sorry for the Boy. Since he looks more like a German Shepard, he has a lot of fur. Poor guy was panting up a storm. I sprayed him with the hose to cool him off. Today, it is only going to be 85 degree, which is more tolerable.

With the warm weather also comes low attendance. I tell my students to "come for the AC and stay for the lecture." Sometimes it works. But my afternoon Critical Thinking class only had three students. Sucks to be those who did not show up because I handed out the research project and explained it in full detail.

Some of my colleagues have been driving me crazy lately. There is a small contingent who like to complain about EVERYTHING. They are never happy either personally or professionally. It is a real downer. Lately, I have been popping on the Ipod, so I don't have to listen to all the drama. All the whining and complaining really stresses me out.

Well, I have work to do today. I have to find more cases for the Survey of Law course for their research project and create a take home exam for Law and Ethics.

Keep cool everyone!!!

4 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

only three showed up! You have an excellent point about coming for the air conditioning. Universities over-air-condition.

Your AC is down?!?! OH NO! How much will it cost to get it repaired?

Anonymous said...

What I wouldn't give for a day that got up to only 91! Of course, I live in Texas...

I hear you on attendance. My attendance drops when it is nice out. But, when the temperature gets up over 100, students seem happy to come it out of the heat.

Brightstar's comment about over air conditioning works both ways. Around here, it is HOT in the buildings in the winter. It can be below freezing outside, but I need to plug in a fan to cool myself in my office.

Good luck with the A/C. That can be expensive to fix.

Seeking Solace said...

B*: I have to call to have it serviced. I am scared though!

Astroprof: My brother was stationed at Ft. Hood back in 2000. I went to visit him in early May and could not believe how hot and humid central Texas was!

DRD: Thanks for stopping by. I will visit you soon! We are not used to the heat up here! Thank god the house came with the AC!

Abbey said...

Living in Fla, a broken AC is considered an emergency in apartment-world. Over the weekend we hit the mid 90's and I could barely handle leaving the house- hence, I don't think the promise of AC would get our students into the classrooms since it takes the entire drive to campus to get the car to cool and by the time we walk in from parking we're drenched. Ok, who am I kiding, the time it takes to lock your front door usually leads to drenched-ness.

Subscribe