The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Be Careful Of What You Wish For!

Posted by Seeking Solace |

One of my Survey of Law students and I had the following conversation yesterday:

Student: I can’t believe how much work you give us to do!
Seeking Solace: It’s no more or less than what you receive in you other major courses
Student: What kind of research project do I have to do?
SS: I usually have you research a Supreme Court case, but I am thinking about changing that.
Student: No, please don’t. That way I can find someone who did the paper and use theirs.

Just for that, I am changing the research project you little snot!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! And I thought that my students said stupid things! Did this student ever realize what he had just said?

Cheeky Prof said...

That one goes in the stupid hall of fame.

*statgirl* said...

I think you should start a new meme "Stupid Student Statements"---how is it possible that a student thinks that is OK??

Seeking Solace said...

Hey Cheeky Prof!! Thanks for stoping by and welcome to the waiting room!

Alice said...

Wow! Give her a "special" project as a punishment. Just kidding! :)

Ianqui said...

*shakes head in disbelief*

I just don't even begin to understand how students could think this is an appropriate thing to say.

EmmaNadine said...

I think we academics should start a "What not to say to your instructors" blog. We can post all of these gems and then make it required reading for all of our students.

Bardiac said...

And this is a LAW student? Someone who's going to try someday to think on his/her feet enough to convince a jury or judge of something?

Oh, yeah, I can see THAT!

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I'd be diving to the computer to change the syllabus ASAFP.

One of my students wrote the following on my in-class presentation reflection worksheet, "This is better than a test or paper, because, you know, you can't copy someone else's work and hand it it in. It isn't like I would do something like that, I'm just -- you know -- saying that it could happen."

Subscribe