The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Too Smart for His Own Good

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I have been waiting all day to post this story.

When I came home from work yesterday. I dropped my gym bag on the floor in the living room. During the Boy’s usual happy welcome dance, my bag was knocked over and my travel mug fell out. There must have been some coffee left in it, because some of it spilled on the carpet. I tried to clean it as best I could, knowing that I am having the carpets ripped out this summer. So, there was a somewhat visible brown stain on my tan carpet.

Well, this morning as I was putting on my make up, Husband went downstairs to let the Boy out and make coffee. Suddenly, he yells “Boy…did you do that???”
Me: “What did he do?”
Husband: “I think he peed.”
Me: “Don’t you remember that I spilled coffee yesterday.”
Husband: “No, you need to see this.”

I came downstairs to find Husband standing next to the spot where I spilled the coffee. The stain now had a yellowish tint to it. The Boy peed in the exact spot where I spilled the coffee! The Boy just sat there, hanging his head in shame and nervously wagging his tail.

As many of you know, the Boy is my 5 ½ year old German Shepard-Lab. Since adopting him 4 ½ years ago, he has NEVER had an accident in the house. He is very good about letting someone know if he has to go out. He will jump on top of me and let out this whine that sounds like a squealing pig if he has to go out in the middle of the night. Nothing like 70 pounds of dog standing on one's body and whinning in your face to wake one from a sound sleep. I am a VERY light sleeper, so I would not have slept through his attempt to wake me. Plus, he always wakes me up when he has to go out.

Unlike some people, I do not believe in physical punishment for any animal. I will not rub his nose in the spot or hit my Boy. It is cruel and just wrong. All I have to do is shake my finger at him and tell him to go in the corner and he goes for a time out. (Really….he does!!!)

But I have to laugh at his precision and accuracy!!!!

2 comments:

jo(e) said...

Since animals pee to mark territory, do you think he thought the coffee stain was the mark of some other animal? That would make sense to me.

Seeking Solace said...

I think so. A friend of mine suggested that very point!

Subscribe