The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Time

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I think I am going to give my Employment Law class a gift today. I am giving them the class period to work on their research paper which is due on Thursday. They may go to lab or library to work, or they may use the time to ask questions.

I am doing this for purely selfish reasons. I just don’t want to teach today. This is the last week of classes and all of my students’ work is due this week. I am not giving a final exam in any of my classes, so teaching anything today would be a waste of time. Besides, attendance and attention span has been lacking this week as students wander the halls with that deer in the headlights look.

I am preparing for my grading bonanza that will begin this weekend. Husband is going on his annual fishing trip with his dad and brothers this weekend, so it will be just me and the Boy. It’s a good thing that Husband is gone, because I become very grouchy and nasty when I grade final papers. I even tell my students that I keep a shot glass and a bottle of liquor on the table as I grade. This semester’s selection is Jonnie Walker Red!

I have to work on my philosophy statement and portfolio today. I am meeting with the DI on Thursday to discuss it. I have documented my evidence of my philosophy. Now, I have to write a reflective piece discussing each piece of evidence and how it relates to my philosophy. The DI at my college loves the concept of reflection. Everything we do has to have some reflection component. I can’t stand it. Usually, I make up some BS about whatever topic she wants me to reflect. If I wrote what I REALLY thought, I would probably lose my job! So, I use all the happy buzz words that surround academia and regurgitate the college goals to make her happy.

And sip some Jonnie Walker Red!

4 comments:

sheepish said...

Do you have a grading drinking game or do you prefer a steady approach to dulling of pain?

Seeking Solace said...

. What a great idea! I will try to come up with one!

Usually, the consumption depends on how bad the paper is. Sometimes I need a few nips just to get through one paper.

Addy N. said...

ss: ha! That's great. I think I actually drank some beer while grading papers last semester! It definitely made it a better experience... I will certainly NOT miss grading this semester. Good luck with your pile o' papers!

Abbey said...

I have to say, my class did significantly better on the test I graded with a glass of wine than the one I graded without.

Subscribe