The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Sunday, April 02, 2006

The Numbers Game

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I almost threw my scale out the window today.

I have worked out diligently since January. Although I had some results in February, the scale will not budge. I have increased my cardio; added strength trained and modified my diet, so I know I am doing all the right things,

BUT WHY DOESN’T THE NUMBERS ON THE SCALE MOVE!!!!

Husband says I look great. He has noticed that my waist is smaller and my body looks trim. He also said that I do not look as tired as I usually do and I seem to have more energy. He said that he is proud of what I have accomplished and says I should keep going.

He is right. I noticed all of those things. My clothes feel loose and I definitely have more energy. Plus, I have not suffered as many flares as I usually do in the wintertime. Basically, I feel great.

BUT WHY DOESN’T THE NUMBERS ON THE SCALE MOVE!!!!

I shouldn’t be hung up on what the scale says or what size number is on the clothing. The rationale side of me knows that I should be doing this for my health and wellness. But I just can’t help feeling like I failed in some way. That thought scares me.

I am not going to stop though. First of all, I am not one to quit anything. Second, doing nothing won’t solve anything. And third, GML would kick my ass. She has been my voice of conscious during this whole journey.

So in honor of my resolve, albeit a little shaky, I have complied a workout play list that should get me going.

1. Rock and Roll Ain’t Noise Pollution by AC/DC (Yes, I was inspired by the Nike commercial!)
2. Who Are You? by The Who
3. Sympathy for the Devil by The Rolling Stones
4. Mama Said Knock You Out.by LL Cool J
5. Vertigo by U2
6. Get This Party Started by Pink
7. Baby I’m a Star by Prince
8 It’s My Life by Bon Jovi
9. Ants Marching by The Dave Matthews Band
10. Train Wreck by Sarah McLachlin.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've plateaued (OK-am still mid-plateau for a year), but it sounds likre you may have built up enough muscle to offset the weight loss. Especially if you see the loss in clothing, other people see it, you feel better, etc.

It MIGHT not be a bad idea to toss the scale and just use Drs office #s so you can revel in the other improvements (which sound like the reasons you wanted the scale to go down anyway.

I'm sure you'll going to really notice the change in shopping for Aruba clothes :)

Ianqui said...

Hey, me too. But in your case, it sounds like your exercise regimen changed at the same time that your diet did, so what Ellen said sounds about right. In which case, you haven't failed at all. In fact, you've done exactly the right thing.

Subscribe