The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, April 03, 2006

Manic Monday

Posted by Seeking Solace |

There are two weeks left before finals and my students have lost their minds. My Critical Thinking students seemed relieved, overjoyed if you will, that I gave them the class period to work on their research papers which are due next week.

My abuse student approached me after I dismissed the students.

Abuse Student: I am having trouble with my paper.
Seeking Solace: What seems to be the problem?
AS: I don’t know where to start my paper.
SS: Well, did you look at the outline in the research packet? That will tell you what I am looking for in you paper.
AS: No, there’s an outline in the packet?

At this point I want to slap the shit out of this student.

AS: How many pages does this have to be?
SS: 6-9 pages.
AS: I can’t write that many pages. I can talk for six hours, but I can’t write that many pages.
SS: Instead of focusing on the number of pages, maybe you should just start writing. Besides, you did not submit an outline or a rough draft and the deadline to submit them have passed. I am willing to look at your work if you want, but I will not give you credit for it.
AS: I don’t know what the hell I am doing.

I wanted to say “You got that right.” But I resisted the temptation.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I hate such interactions. I always feel like the student's main point in them is to make me feel badly -- like I am expecting too much, I have created an unreasonable assignment, I am too hard on them, etc., etc. And thus that I will crumple and tell the student that they can just write a paper on a disney film and why it was a fun film rather than having to do this ornerous, horrible, unfair assignment.

And even though I know this, I can never help but feel bad and guilty after such an interaction.

Anonymous said...

I hate these interactions, too. You want to help them, but they need to meet you halfway. I think this student has some pretty big issues to start with, though.

Anonymous said...

I am picturing the same encounter with a BOSS instead of a prof.

"Yeah - I know the job description calls for this duty and I knew this up front, but I just DON'T do that, and I don't think it's fair or right you expect it of me"

Why, oh why, do they think they can pull this stuff?

Subscribe