The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Cynical Professor

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I am please with the level of work from my two law classes this semester. They have really stepped up their game with respect to homework, test grades and their research papers. I just finished reading the research rough drafts from my employment law class. Except for some minor grammatical and citation errors, they have really mastered the cases they selected. Plus, they have made the important step of synthesizing the information.

So, why do I feel like this is too good to be true? Maybe it’s the cynic and pessimist in me. For the past 2 ½ years, I have found at least on case of plagiarism in each of my classes. This semester, I scared the students with threats of fire and brimstone if I found plagiarism. Maybe they finally listened, because they seemed scared all semester any time they had to submit something that required documentation.

And yet I am cynical. Should I be?

3 comments:

UltimateWriter said...

Plus, you have to account for the fact that word spreads on campus and students who may have had you in the past may have discussed your views on plagiarism with other students.

Pink Cupcake said...

It's the lawyer in you!! I'm certain that anyone who's ever taken a degree in law will always be slightly cynical, no matter how hard we fight it! Legal training (and, more so, practice) conditions our brains to be that way... ;)

Seeking Solace said...

Pink Cupcake: That is true. Law school is a lot like military boot camp. They tear you down and turn you into a mean legal machine that doesn't believe in anything!

Subscribe