The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Why So Evil?

Posted by Seeking Solace |

So why am I feeling so evil???

It began this morning. I received a ballot in my faculty mailbox to nominate students for awards at graduation. The ballot listed the eligible students’ names, majors, social security number, gender and race. Excuse me…social security number? WTF is up with that? You can’t just distribute someone’s social security number on something like that!!! There are some serious legal implications for an act like that. Many of my colleagues were horrified as well. So, I took my concerns to my boss, the Dean of Instruction, who also happened to be the person who disturbed this document in the first place. I asked her if distributing the list with the social security numbers was a mistake. She said no. I respectfully explained to her that providing a document with the student’s social security numbers was a bad thing. I suggested that the ballots should be redistributed without the social security information.

Now, one would think that someone hearing this information would have said “Wow, I can’t believe I missed that.”, or “Yes, it’s a mistake, but I do not think that it that big of an issue.” and that would be the end of the conversation. HELL NO! My boss tore me a new corn hole. She bitched and moaned that she was up until 2 AM working on this list and now she would have to do it all over again, because I have issues with how she does things. She also told me that one of my colleagues had brought the issue to her attention an hour ago. (This colleague did not bother to tell any of the other faculty members that she had already spoken to the DI, while we were complaining about the issue.) The DI began yanking all the remaining ballots from the mailboxes and bitching how she did not have time to redo them bcause of yours truly.

Well, as much as I would have loved to stick around and listen to the DI to bitch; I was late for my Critical Thinking class and my child abuse student.

Just to give you a little background on the research project for my Critical Thinking course. I ask the students to create their own law. They may legislate something new or they may change an existing law. The must provide a full explanation of their law, including background information and research supporting their law. Furthermore, they must discuss and consider those viewpoints that may be contrary to their law and determine if there is room for compromise.

Peri had commented that perhaps this student was trying to provoke me into getting assistance with her project, given that the student complained that her topic was “too hard”. Last night, I read the student’s outline and she basically regurgitated our entire conversation into an outline. She even changed her original premise to coincide with what I had explained to her in class about mandatory reporting of child abuse.

I was absolutely sick. WTF!!!! Did this girl just chump me by saying something so repulsive in the hopes that I would help her? Yep. (Peri...if we ever meet, I owe you a martini!) So I have no idea if this girl was really serious or not. Would you have thought she was???

I wrote a detailed commentary on her outline, stating that I found it rather curious that her outline seemed to be in stark contrast to her comments in class. I was hoping that I could speak to her before class, but I was late getting class because of the whole DI thing. When I arrived at class, I gave the student her outline and I told her that I wanted to speak to her about her outline during my office hours later that day. She just looked at me with this shity grin on her face and walked away. She never showed up. Who knows what she will put in her final paper.

So in the span of three hours, my day went straight to Hell!

I spent the day in the dog house with respect to the DI. Around 4:30, The DI stopped by to apologize for her “overreaction”. But I was so pissed at that point that I just mumbled a “no worries”.

My colleague who spoke to the DI before I did never did say anything about the incident, even though she KNEW I had just had my ass chewed out.

And, I have a student who is a fucking monster, a slick con artist or both.


Once again…WHAT THE FUCKING HELL!!!!! Is this open season on Seeking Solace???

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that you had such a bad day. Mine has been rather rough, too (the whole week has been crappy, in fact). It seems to be going around.

Addy N. said...

Seeking Solace:

Man- that is a crappy day you had, alright. It's too bad that some people only care about themselves. Re: that twisted student- I guess it's good to know that she is not *physically* abusing any children, but with that kind of mentality, maybe there is psychological abuse going on. Teaching can be so trying that way- I always (well almost always) give students the benefit of the doubt, unless I have reason to believe otherwise. In your situation with that student, you had the combination of the shocking conversation, plus your need to maintain composure in the classroom- that's a sh***y thing to do to you. Do you feel like students act a lot more bold than when you were in college? I hear things from students that I NEVER could have even imagined saying to a professor. Am I just getting old, or are students getting more rude? BTW- I was a college student in the late 80s/early 90s, so it's not like it's been THAT long (or has it???)

I hope you have a better day tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, I can't beLIEVE anyone would think that distributing the social security numbers was a good idea! Had the DI never heard of FERPA??

And I'm sorry about the frustrations with the student, too. I suppose it might be some consolation that while she might be able to get an outline out of your conversation in class, she still has to come up with actual content for the paper itself (which doesn't sound very likely!).

sheepish said...

You still have to grade this student's paper. I'm pretty damn sure that if she just regurgitates what you said in class (especially without citing you!) then she is going to do pretty damn poorly on the paper, thanks to successfully antogonizing you.

BrightStar (B*) said...

I'm sorry you had to deal with this junk. The DI is a fool for getting on your case about this. First of all, how frickin' hard is it to make a list? Can't a staff member help to retype it? Secondly, you were being helpful to protect the DI by suggesting the retraction. You did the right thing.

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

On the Social Security Numbers thing.. wouldn't a black marker and another run at the copy machine fix the problem. I'm also a bit concerned about putting the race and gender of the student on the ballot as well -- I suppose if it is intended to be descriptive or something, that would be ok.. otherwise, not so much so...

As a student I'd have been pissed that my social security number was out there, as identity theft is a huge problem and more than just the faculty has access to faculty mailboxes -- especially if the ballot wasn't in an envelope -- anybody putting something in the box after the ballot would see a list of numbers -- very convenient.

Anonymous said...

Sending you a virtual hug ((()))

Hang in there.

Seeking Solace said...

Thanks everyone for your support. I am still a little pissed off about the whole thing. But I am glad that there are people out there who agree that the whole thing is crazy.

Anonymous said...

I'm really super surprised someone in College Admin NEEDED to be told this - in the day (which for me was close to a decade ago) everyone from TA's and support staff on up knew that sharing SS#s was a big TABOO.

re: student - I'm sure the student will supply you with something else doofusy to dock her for. Sadly, they always do. And what she may have gained pointwise on the paper would be a pittance. AND you'll be on your guard now instead of wondering later. Not quite a win-win, but....

Subscribe