The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Words

Posted by Seeking Solace |

“We are one, but we are not the same”
One by U2. From Auchtung Baby.


It's been a long time since I started a post with a song quote, but I thought this particular quote was appropriate.

In my Employment Law class we spend a significant amount of time talking about discrimination. Last week, we discussed gender discrimination. We were discussing maternity leave policies and how they should be gender neutral. Here is a conversation that took place with one of my students:

Seeking Solace: The policies should be gender neutral because there are some men who do take time off to help their wives after the birth or adoption of a child.
Student: I don’t believe that. These niggas ‘round here don’t take care of their kids.
SS: Excuse me?
Student: These niggas ‘round here don’t take care of their kids.

SS: You want to try that one more time.
Student: These men around here don’t take care of their children. Sorry, but I didn’t think you would be offended
.

Excuse me? Did she think that because of my racial background, I would let something like that slide by as just common urban slang? Did she think that because she is Black and the majority of the class is Black that I would just ignore her? Would she have used the same language had I been White?

As some of you know, I am biracial. When you look at me, it is obvious that I have a multiracial background. I don’t wear my racial background on my sleeve. But, many of my students have asked me about my racial background, and I usually do not mind answering the question. But why assume that I am like you just because I look like you?

I was raised to believe that such language was offensive and not acceptable; no matter what context it is used. It is wrong and has no place in the classroom, workplace or anywhere. But it seems that the current trend is to use that word as some sort of term of endearment. How endearing is to use a word that has such a negative connotation attached to it?

Maybe Bono has a point.

4 comments:

Ianqui said...

She said that in front of the whole class?

This sort of thing is similar to my students writing emails to me using IM language: this is a professional exchange, and so professional behavior should be displayed. It's interesting that she formalized the whole sentence (e.g. switching 'children' for 'kids') instead of just taking out the offending word.

sheepish said...

Damn. DAMN! I can't imagine that. I think you handled it well. I would have been too shocked to hear that in a professional setting.

I accidentally dropped the f-bomb in my class last year, which I dare say is less offensive than your situation, and I was still mortified that I had done it.

Seeking Solace said...

Ianqui: Yep, right in front of the entire class. You could hear crickets in the background.

Sheepish: I dropped the F bomb last semester out of pure frustration because my entire critical thinking class failed their midterm due to a lack of proper citation form. I felt horrible about it too. But this one just came out of left field.

BrightStar (B*) said...

I think you handled this really well, SS.

Subscribe