The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, February 24, 2006

Passport

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Husband and I spent part of the afternoon getting our passports in order. Although one does not need a passport to go to Aruba, we decided that it would be best to get one. The law is supposed to change in 2007 regarding travel to the Caribbean, Mexico and Canada. One will be required to have a passport if they want to travel to those places. I have a passport, but it’s in my maiden name. So, I had to renew it. Husband could not find his old one. Hopefully, it is not in the hands of Al Queta!

The post office line was extremely long for 2PM on a Friday. It made me wonder if people do not have jobs anymore. The post office guy was somewhat of a smart ass. Since when can’t you pay for your passport and photo with a credit card? I said a few Hail Marys, hoping there was enough money in my checking account as the post office guy ran my debt card through the machine. Total cost: $350. This includes that passport with expedited service and the photos. Sure enough, I wiped out my checking account. Husband said I could reimburse my account with funds from the house account. (Yes, Husband and I have separate checking accounts plus one house account. It cuts down on the money fights!) Hopefully, we should have our passports in about three weeks.

I need to get back on the workout program. Three is not much time left until Aruba. I want to fit in a light workout today, but I feel a nap coming on!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

How totally weird -- I spent yesterday afternoon at the post office too. part of the time I was worried the man yelling at the stamp machine was going to "go postal" (sorry postal workers) on us all.

The line was extremely long and I saw one woman turned away because she didn't have the right payment method, which made me panic as I'd been waiting for a long long time and didn't want to have to go get cash and come back and wait (esp. since I was sending out an express package and was anxious to get it out).

I can't believe the passports were that expensive!

My parents always kept separate accounts. I think it's not a bad thing for couples at all, actually, and am surprised more people don't do it.

Seeking Solace said...

Shrinky: That is too weird, especially the guy at the stamp machine!

Passports run about $100. Plus we needed photos ($15 each) and the expedited service to ensure that we receive our passports in time for our trip. Amazing!

My husband and I have used separate accounts and separate credit cards since day one of our marriage. I honestly think it was the smartest move. We each have our own discretionary money that we do not have to answer to the other for. It's nice since I am a shopping fanatic!

Anonymous said...

The sig other and I have separate accounts, and we've been living together for ten years next month. we both came to this relationship with very little trust--he had lost lots of money in previous relationships; I had been well-trained by my mom to always believe I could end up alone and needing to support myself. And now, I think we do trust each other, but separate accounts keep things nice and clean.

BrightStar (B*) said...

I had to renew my passport to go to Canada, too. I thought it was all going into effect in 2006, so I rushed it. I paid $67 for the renewal and another $60 for expedited processing. (I got the photo somewhere else -- at a photo shop.) Mine was still in my maiden name, and I needed it in my married name, which is my current legal name, but it was all sorts of irritating to have to get a passport in my married name now that I'm separated.

Anyhow, the weekend in January when I ordered my passport, they told me the costs were going up -- now they sound like they're OVER DOUBLE what I paid!! Yikes.

BrightStar (B*) said...

oh, I hadn't read your comment -- I see... you were buying more than one at once?

Seeking Solace said...

B*: Yep! Husband lost his and mine was in my madien name and 16 years old. So we had no choice but to renew. Drag!

Subscribe