The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, February 27, 2006

Exercise

Posted by Seeking Solace |

It’s midterm time. One class down, two more to go. The class that I finished only has eight students in it. But still, I got something done.

Today in my Critical Thinking class, I posed the following hypothetical. I told them that I had a client who is involved in a complicated legal matter. This particular client was supposed to supply me with a document that was critical to his case. I gave the client a deadline which has since passed, and the client has yet to submit the document. I explained that the document in question was something that I could not obtain. I also explained that I set up a timetable so that the client had sufficient time to obtain the document. Furthermore, whether or not the client receives a positive or negative outcome in this case was dependant on that document. Now, the question that I posed to the students was how I should handle the case given these circumstances.

The responses were interesting. One student immediately wanted to know the race of the client. That led to a discussion about our perceptions about race, which the students concluded that the race was irrelevant. Another student felt that this client must have something to hide. She explained that his failure to supply information is evidence that he is up to something shady. Others felt that I should fire the client. I explained to them that the judge would not permit me to withdraw from the case under these circumstances.

Finally, one student spoke up. He said that this client does not care about his legal situation. The student went on to use my zero tolerance policy as an example. He said that everyone in the class knows when an assignment is due. If it’s not in by the specified time, there is no one to blame but you. So, if this particular client has a negative outcome, then it’s his fault. He should have provided the necessary document at the specified time.

He got the point of the exercise. I wanted the students to see that their actions have consequences. It is THEIR responsibility to turn in work on time. And they have no one to blame but themselves if they don’t.

Now, let’s see if they remember that on Wednesday when I give them their midterm grades!

5 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

Excellent! I like how the exercise had multiple purposes. :)

I immediately thought about myself. I thought about what would have kept me from turning in the document -- maybe I'm just too overwhelmed to care enough to take care of those things. But I would have to live with the consequences.

Ianqui said...

I'm kind of surprised that it seemed to take the class a little longer than expected to find the "right" answer. Is this indicative of the mind of a college student? They try to find every possible solution before they realize they just have to take responsibility for their actions?

Nels P. Highberg said...

Sneaky, sneaky!

But very effective.

Anonymous said...

I like the exercise too - subtle. Sounds like most of the class couldn't justify the lateness as well if it was something critical to them that was being given to them late. Hmmmm...

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I like the exercise too...

We had a bit of the old 'shock and awe' in class today when the grade progress reports came out. More will follow tomorrow.

Of course, like most college teachers I have an ulterior motive, in that I want all of their make-up work BEFORE break so I can have it done after break and before debate drags me out of town... of course, they don't need to know THAT :).

Subscribe