The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, January 20, 2006

Entitlement

Posted by Seeking Solace |

GML stopped by the library the other day to pick up resource materials for one of her classes. The Librarian said that they were in the library computer lab, so the two of them headed for the library lab. In the past, the library lab was open to all students, but this semester, it is closed and only used for the Library Research class.

GML and the Librarian walked into the lab and found a student sitting with her feet propped on the desk. She was talking on her cell phone with a friend.

Librarian: Excuse me, but how did you get in here? The door is supposed to be locked.

Student: So?

Librarian: Well, you are not allowed to be in this room. You have to leave.

Student: I pay $5,000.00 a semester in tuition; I should be able to do whatever the hell I want! (Student storms out of the room)

Umm, since when does tuition entitle students to have free pass to do “whatever the hell they want?” Many of the students at my college feel the same way and have expressed this opinion to me. They believe that since they pay tuition, and a great amount of tuition at my school, the faculty and administration should kiss their ass. I agree that when you pay for a service, you should receive reasonable and decent service. But where does it say that you are entitled to be treated like a king or queen?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Years ago, when I was a TA in graduate school, I caught someone doing labs in another student's name. The student who had actually signed up for the class tried to argue that since he was paying so much money in tuition that he ought to be able to send one of his fraternity pledges to take his place in class.

UltimateWriter said...

what they're paying for is that piece of paper at the end of the road which will keep them afloat for the rest of their life...everything else around them is private property (a vehicle to allow them to get to their destination) and should be treated with respect as such. Would you paint graffiti on airplane windows or stick your shoes in the face of a taxi cab driver?

Bella Sultane said...

Speaking of which, I just got back from lunch with a friend. A student athlete this semester asked her how she was going to modify her class so as to accomodate his schedule.

The PBS series "Declining by Degrees" (from last summer or so?) talked a lot about the consumer culture that's taking over academia. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

I'm reminded of a student when I was a TA who informed me on the first day of class that since my class started at noon, I'd have to excuse her being late because she had to eat lunch before my class. She estimated she would be about one half hour late each day. She couldn't believe it when I told her this was not acceptable.

Subscribe