The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Clean Slate

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I'm officially on summer break. And for the first time, it's truly a break. I have nothing really occupying my time or sending me into my usual state of being stressed about what is not happening. Last summer, I was in this anger/depression mode that kept me from doing what I needed to do and enjoying the time off. I was disappointed in myself for wasting that time. This time, I'm in a much better place mentally and emotionally. I think it helps that I spend some time working through some of those emotions. I've wiped the slate clean.

This fall, I will be an official grad student. No more worrying about taking the GRE or applying for grad school. I'm registered for nine credits (three classes). I will spend some time reviewing for quantitative methods, but that will only take up a small amount of time. I have a study schedule in place that will start after the holiday weekend. I am excited about moving forward with the PhD, especially after earning an A+ in my most recent course. Yes, it will be a little more challenging taking three courses instead of just one. But, I believe that I am ready and up for the challenge.

I have one class to teach at HBCU this fall and it's on ground rather than online. It turns out that the powers that be hired someone for Dream Job, without giving me a chance to interview. I was pissed off about it for a day or two, but I've just chalked it up to the continued chaos and disorder that goes on there. I did get a chuckle out of a report from the director of strategic planning that indicated that there are too many professors who are just there for the paycheck. Whatever, dudes.

As far as looking for other jobs, if something looks interesting, I'll apply for it. It is hiring season, but I am not going out of my way to find something. I'm just not feeling it right now. Also, the sooner I finish the PhD, the better chance I have to finding something more permanent. Once I get the fall semester out of the way, I'll be eligible for graduate funding, so that will help.

Husband and I ran a 5K last week. I finished in 37:50, which is a new personal best. We are training for another race in June, which includes working on our speed. And yes, my RA doc is still OK with the running. Junior is helping with the training...he's always up for joggies.

We have a couple of trips planned, a vegetable garden to manage, and some home improvement jobs that I can handle. I am also focusing on some self care. I have restarted yoga practice, which has proven helpful over the past couple of months. I'm reading for pleasure, something that I probably will not be able to do again for a while. And, I'm thinking about starting a new blog that focuses on my progress with the RA.

I feel like the slate has been wiped clean. It's a second chance to enjoy the Summer of Seeking Solace.. This time, I won't screw it up.

3 comments:

Rev Dr Mom said...

Haven't read blogs in months, and decided to check in here....YAY for the 5K!! Awesome. And good luck with the grad program!

Unknown said...

This'll help keep you (in)sane, dear...

That's cool... but, yet, where is your indelible SOUL going after you leave your mortal body (our physical bodies decompose)? Find-out where we went...

As a writer of the sassy, savvy, insane yooFEMisms we A-L-L go through in this finite existence, I as well as you gotta lotta angst, too, and the synonymous metaphors which shall creeep stealthily across thy brain like the vivid, brazen dawn are the cohesion which brings U.S. together, girl.

So, see if you cannot subliminally 'read-between-the-lines' or VERBUM SAT SAPIENTI (Latin: words to the wise): here's summore symbiotically-explosive-coolness done in sardonic satires when we passed-away:

Here's what the prolific, exquisite GODy sed: 'the more you shall honor Me, the more I shall bless you' -the Infant Jesus of Prague.

Go git'm, girl. You're incredible.
See you Upstairs...
thesuperseedoftime.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

This'll help keep you (in)sane, dear...

That's cool... but, yet, where is your indelible SOUL going after you leave your mortal body (our physical bodies decompose)? Find-out where we went...

As a writer of the sassy, savvy, insane yooFEMisms we A-L-L go through in this finite existence, I as well as you gotta lotta angst, too, and the synonymous metaphors which shall creeep stealthily across thy brain like the vivid, brazen dawn are the cohesion which brings U.S. together, girl.

So, see if you cannot subliminally 'read-between-the-lines' or VERBUM SAT SAPIENTI (Latin: words to the wise): here's summore symbiotically-explosive-coolness done in sardonic satires when we passed-away:

Here's what the prolific, exquisite GODy sed: 'the more you shall honor Me, the more I shall bless you' -the Infant Jesus of Prague.

Go git'm, girl. You're incredible.
See you Upstairs...
thesuperseedoftime.blogspot.com

Subscribe