The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Slower than the speed of smell

Posted by Seeking Solace |

There are so many things that I love about living in Elsewhere. Great weather, proximity to the beach and the mountains, well-known colleges and universities, and lots of things to see, do, and eat. But after living here for almost 6 years, there is one thing that I cannot get used to.If you want something done or get a response about something, it happens at the speed of smell.

I suppose if you lived in Elsewhere all your life, you wouldn't notice it. In fact, if you traveled to other places in the US, you would probably wonder why people are in such a hurry. So, I get it...really I do. And, many experts and gurus have said that as a society, we should slow down. Sure, sure...

But, there times where things move so slowly here, that I swear a kite or a snail blew right past me.

All of this leads to my never-ending search for more work, either adjuncting or full-time.  I send stuff, get the customary "Do not reply to this email" message, and then I wait...

And, wait....and wait...
Oh, look! There's a kite flying by...

In my 20+ years of looking for a job, any job, I've never experienced such a long wait time for any job response. Even when I am able to speak with a live person for follow up, there is no sense of urgency to fill a position. What are they waiting for?

I guess I just keep waiting and looking for other opportunities....

Oh look, another kite...

0 comments:

Subscribe