The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

It Ain't Over 'Till the Big Dog Howls!

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I think I found a solution.

I spoke with the new Dean of Instruction about my dilemma. Unlike the previous dean, this dean is very supportive of faculty and provides a good sounding board for issues. She surmised that the fuckwit will gain nothing from a "debate" with me. Also, it will not benefit the class in any way. She suggested that I find a way to have my cake and eat it too. Teach the little snot a lesson, while engaging the class in an activity that will meet the course outcomes.

I decided that entire class could benefit from and exercise where they must create and defend a position. So, I am going to have the students participate in a debate each presenting a case in which they must create and presents arguments based on a hypothetical case I created. Yours truly will be the judge. I know the fuckwit will want to be in charge of his legal team, so he will have to convince me that he is right. (HA! Good Luck!) Plus, I can mess with him, challenging his arguments and make his life a living Hell. If he gets out of line, it will impact the grade he receives on the assignment. Hit him were it really hurts, right in the GPA!

I am sharpening my fangs as we speak! Of course, I will keep you all posted.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love it!!! fabulous plan!

Anonymous said...

Good plan. Let us know how it goes.

Weezy said...

Dude--- I would so pay to watch that. You must be sooooo excited to slap him around a bit (and he so totally deserves it!)

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

This is a good idea. The thing is that the rest of the class now thinks he's a bozo, and this will only let him confirm their impression.

As long as the assignment is structured so that the grades are isolated and nobody else is hurt by his being a bozo, I say go for it.

You might want to consider having the non-involved students write decision papers while the other groups are giving their cases. Like when I do in-class debates and have the non-debating students write ballots, this gives them some experience at evaluating arguments.

betty said...

go get em, SS!

Subscribe