The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Rage

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I just finished the grades for my Law and Ethics class. Out of 12 students, only 3 will receive passing grades.

WTF!!!

This is the most "F" grades I have ever handed out. Believe me; the students who received these grades earned them. You cannot pass my class if you fail to submit the research project. It is worth 40% of the grade in the course. Then, if you fail to do any of the homework assignments, you are absolutely guaranteed to fail. So I have no sympathy for those students who just decided that doing work was optional.

But, I do feel sorry for one particular student. He was going through a difficult time this semester. He discussed his problems with me, but yet he failed to submit some of the homework and one take home exam. He is close to a "D", but my college does not give "D" grades. This sucks because I would give him the "D" grade. But, I cannot. So he is going to fail.

Sigh.

On top of all this, I have two cases of plagiarism.

These are the days when I just want to yell "FUCK" at the top of my lungs.

8 comments:

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Wow..

It isn't as if you have some super secret syllabi and grading scale they somehow failed to see, although they may have been betting on the "she can't fail us all" theory, which they'll soon see is bogus.

Think about it this way, you can now honestly tell future classes that they ought not be like your worst class ever, they should do their homework and write their papers.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this as the final part of the summer session, it has been kind of hard for you anyway -- you deserved a good ending!

Anonymous said...

Every once in a while you get a really wonderful class. But, once in a while you get a really horrible one. This sounds like a class that I had a couple years ago.

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's simply pathetic. I can't imagine wasting money like that. I'm so sorry you've had to endure this bunch. I'm hoping for a better fall semester for you.

Ianqui said...

It really feels so very wrong to be reading about kind of garbage in the summer (I'm fortunate not to be teaching right now...). I'm sorry that happened, and I'm sorry that you'll have to deal with students' reactions, no matter how well deserved they may be.

betty said...

oh! I'm so sorry. This has sounded like the crappiest class ever. I bet you feel bad (even though you shouldn't). Do something fun this weekend and treat yourself - you deserve it after all this!

Arbitrista said...

Are you going to have a problem for handing out so many F's? When I taught there was an unspoken (and sometime spoken) rule that you didn't fail people unless they just didn't do assignments.

Tee-hee. The word verification for this post was "mmumwh." Sounds like trying to talk with peanut butter in your mouth.

Unknown said...

I totally empathize. I had to fail 4 students this summer. For me, this was the worst summer ever. Some students seemed to think that assignments were completely optional.

At my undergrad, summer school was most comprised of the best students. This was partly because very few actual requirements were taught in the summer - it was mostly elective and super interesting classes.

Anonymous said...

What a draining summer you've had with this class. I don't understand why anyone would sign up for summer school and not do the work. But there's so much I don't understand . . . .

Subscribe