The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Not Ready to Make Nice

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I have not heard anything from the powers that be regarding the email I received from Ding Dong student. I have not responded to the email either. I am not sure if I should even dignify it with a response.

Truth is I am still really pissed off about it. In some ways, it is the straw that broke the camel's back. I am sick and tired of the students at my college and their lack of accountability and respect. I am tired of the excuses they make for failing to do what is asked and then blaming everyone but themselves for their failure. I am tired of students who don't want to do the work but expect me as an instructor to just let that slide.

I took pride in being the kind of instructor that was tough but fair and fun. I would bend over backward to help my students be successful. I would give my students every chance to do well in my courses. But, I have high standards and I expect a great deal from my students. I do this because I believe in them. Many of my students come from circumstances where no one ever expected much from them or there was a preconceived opinion about them. I want to show them that if they work hard, they will reap the reward of accomplishment and self respect.

But, I am just angry now. I don't feel like being that kind of instructor anymore. Part of me wants to just say "too bad, you are on your own" and be a total hard ass. Why should I try to be nice? What's the point of it?

Ok, I know I should not let that one email determine how I do things. But on the one hand, that email is just the pinnacle of the mountain of bullshit that I see. And I know I should take pride in the success stories that I have seen since I began teaching at my college. I have some students who are just wonderful and I am very proud of.

So why doesn't that help?

I am working on my syllabi this week (I finally finished the divorce papers for my client and I am waiting for a response from opposing counsel before I submit them for the judge's signature). I am thinking about making some major changes in the way I do things. I am not sure what exactly. Maybe some of you can give me some input.

BTW, I did get a FU response from Southern State Law School. Actually, they sent me two separate letters saying the same thing. How insulting is that?

12 comments:

Dr. Crazy said...

As far as I can tell there is always going to be some bullshit of this kind with certain kinds of students. That said, here are some things that I did after receiving a couple of emails like the one you describe:

1) I reviewed all of my course policies - attendance, grading, etc. - making sure that what I spelled out was what I would actually do. Where before I had tougher policies but would give people breaks in certain circumstances, now my policies are slightly looser, but there are NO exceptions to them.

2) I state very clearly where their grade comes from on the syllabus and what certain letter grades "mean" to me - this is especially important in terms of how I grade writing, I think, because it's "subjective" and so they often feel comfortable challenging grades for that reason. Listing out what the grades mean on the syllabus makes them appear more "objective" to the students.

3) I know some faculty in my department have an "email policy" on their syllabus, in which they explain how they expect to be addressed, what sorts of issues they will deal with via email, and what sorts of emails they will not respond to. I have yet to take this step, because since the changes I made in #1 and #2, I haven't received any bullshit emails.

Seeking Solace said...

Dr. C: Thanks so much for your input. I really respect you and your opinion. I am doing exactly what you suggested regarding reviewing all of my policies.

We are required to use rubrics on all assignments and place those rubrics in my syllaibus. I often wonder if students really read them.

Anonymous said...

Keep looking at the success stories. Sometimes the most obnoxious, rudest students can skewer our perspectives --especially at the end of the semester.
Dr. Crazy, I agree with you about students' perspectives of "subjective.' When did this misconception originate? Why do some students think that we are free-spirited professionals, grading according to whim (whimsy)?

Anonymous said...

You will occasionally come across students like this. One problem is that they were able to get all the way through public schools without lifting a finger, and they just got promoted from grade to grade because that was easier than failing them. So, they expect that same thing in college. It is a shock when it is different here. Assuming that you copied the email verbatim, then it is clear that the student can't write at even middle school level, much less high school or college. They simply do not deserve a college degree.

Your department chair and dean should back you up on this. From what you've said, they are sort of wishy-washy at your college. Keep looking at other institutions, though. I know that around here they support the faculty and hold to high standards. There are other places like that out there.

Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

I had several students like this when I taught in NYC. They are horrible and frustrating and make you wonder why you bother doing this. It's hard to remember sometimes, but they aren't all like that. Some of them do learn and care about the material, and really get something out of the class. Sad thing is, they don't usually write us emails to tell us about it.

Rebecca said...

Change is good. If something is causing you grief in life, there is every reason to look for ways to change it. Also, being a hard ass when it's called for doesn't make you a bad person.

Why should you have to be upset just because someone else is miserable due to the consequences of their own behavior? Write it off, not your problem. Try not to give it a thought except for what kind of changes you can make so that you don't have to experience the aggravation of having to deal with this issue again - or, at least, as seldom as possible.

Other than that, try not to dwell on it. Unless you feel like you need to contact the dean or whoever with a reminder, then just wait for a response and deal with it when it comes. Until then, try to ignore it. Those kind of people don't deserve our consideration and we don't deserve to have our peace of mind cut up by them.

Alice said...

So sorry about the response!

Yes, I am tired of students' constant whining (see my today's post), too, but I am not backing off. Over the years, I had quite a few confrontations. And while they are stressful, they also serve as a deterrent for at least some future troublemakers. So stand firm -- most students do appreciate your passion for teaching.

Chaser said...

ok, girlfriend, I say we put a rock on your fab LV purse and club this little snot with it. Wait. That might mar the bag.

We'll get a bag at Target on the way to club him/her. That's a better plan.

Arbitrista said...

You are describing the very situation that made me quit teaching.

Unknown said...

From what I have gleaned from tings I have read lately (boy, that was convoluted), this kind of thing is causing women - especially - to leave teaching. All this classroom and behavioral management stuff totally muchs with our sense of our value in the classroom, I think.

Sometimes I just want to scream, "Just work with me!" I feel like I put so much into teaching, but don't get that back (from everyone - from some/many I do).

And we as women tend to get evaluated (as I've mentioned in my blog) at how good of mommies we are - not at how good we are at teaching. And that sucks. My hunch is that if we are nice and helpful AND have high standards and strict policies- we are doomed insofar as it relates to students acting out like yours.

Seeking Solace said...

Thanks everyone for your kind words and suggestions. It nice to know that the are people out there who understand.

Lisa: I like Target too much. Can we use a purse from WalMart?

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

A long time ago I took a personality test that told me I was someone who would put 110% into helping someone that was helping themselves, but I wouldn't bother with someone who wasn't putting in as much effort as I was. I often tell this to my students early in the semester, letting them know that if they blow off assignments designed to help them learn the material, that it won't break my heart. As a result, I get very few e-mails like your's... they don't think it will work, so they don't try. Of course, it could also be that I'm teaching in the land of the passive-agressive, so they don't try the e-mail but they bitch about me to their friends :).

Subscribe