The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, December 19, 2005

Tricky Days Ahead

Posted by Seeking Solace |

(Just gotta get used to it) We all get it in the end
(Just gotta get used to it) We go down and we come up again
(Just gotta get used to it) You irritate me my friend
This is no social crisis.
Just another tricky day for you.

Another Tricky Day, performed by the Who
Written by Pete Townsand. From the Album, Face Dances , MCA (1981).

Unlike many of my blog mates, I am still lost in the abyss called finals week. Why my college thinks that running the semester until one day before Christmas Eve confuses, perplexes and bewilders me. Grades are due on Friday. With a little luck, I will be done by Thursday morning.

Today, as I plow through the mountains of research papers, it happened. I should not be surprised, because every semester for the past two years, it has happened. I should expect it. I should be numb to the fact that it happens. I should accept that no matter what I do, it will happen.

I am talking about plagiarism. It has been the subject of this and many other blogs. There are many articles and new stories about the high incidence of plagiarism in college. So, why does a part of me feel like I have been sucker punched by Mike Tyson?

My student, who was the subject of the post titled Fear, committed plagiarism on her research paper. Did she think I would not notice? Did she think that I would not check her sources, especially those found on the Internet? But I think the most important question is: Did she think that she would not get caught?

Well, long story short, I gave her an “F” for the paper. That’s 30% of her grade. Add the big fat honking “F” she received as a result of her refusal to do her oral presentation, and she has failed 40% of the course. Needless to say, I will see her next semester. I guess it true what they say about paybacks.

I know that she will not be the last. I have three other classes that have papers.

And three more tricky days for me.

PS: Thanks to Husband for suggesting the lyric from the Who!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'd think that they'd learn. No. I warn them every semester. Do they listen? No. They don't even try to hide plagiarism. I think that there has been only two semesters in the last ten years that I have NOT found a student plagiarizing something.

Oh, and as an undergraduate, I distinctly recall taking a final exam in the afternoon of December 23, and flying home on December 24.

Subscribe