The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

How Long?

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Yesterday, I followed up with the HMFIC for the job that I want at HBCU. It had been two weeks since my positive conversation. I apologized for not following up sooner, as I was suffering from the Plague. I asked her if there was any additional information that I could provide or if it would be possible to meet with her. She told me that she was surprised to here from me in that the committee was setting up interviews with candidates and she thought I was on the short list. When I told her that I had not heard anything, she said she would find out what was going on.

After I hung up the phone, I thought "WTF does all of this mean?"  Does it mean that I am on the short list? Does it mean that I am not on the short list and the committee just hasn't told me yet?

I could feel my over-analytical brain working overtime. So, I called Husband and repeated the conversation without any embellishment, just the word for word content. I did this because I know I am with stuff like this. I look for hidden meanings in words. Then, either my pessimistic nature kicks in, telling me that it's a no-go, or my small-yet-hopeful optimist begins to get too excited, which often ends in my getting hurt. I wanted Husband to give me the no-nonsense interpretation.

Husband thinks that the HMFIC is on my side and her surprise is genuine. He thinks that perhaps this committee does not have their shit together. Or, it may be that they have someone else in mind that is not who the HMFIC wants. Either way, he thinks that the conversation was positive.

OK, but still, I just don't understand why this process is incredibly screwed up. I mean, if I am not in, then do me a favor and just tell me, so that I can get on with the rest of my life. As it stands right now, I am neither excited or discouraged. I do not want to get my hopes up or start beating myself up. I am in a state of indifference. I will follow up again at the end of the week.

In the meantime, I applied for the exact same job at another SLAC just down the road from HBCU.

We'll see how long that one takes. 

0 comments:

Subscribe