The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Summer of Seeking Solace 2.0

Posted by Seeking Solace |

With a click of the mouse, my grades were submitted. My PhD class ended with a grade of "A" (surprise, because I had an A- going into the final paper and had missed three classes due to illness). The spring semester is a closed chapter. And, I am so happy to see it close. It was a long, rough semester.

Back in 2007, I declared a "Summer of Seeking Solace", like the "Summer of  George" from Seinfeld. Back then, I was in the process of finding a new adjunct gig and was in the process of winding down my practice. I decided that I would enjoy my first summer off since I was a high school junior. Although I spent time looking for another teaching gig, my main focus was enjoying the time off and doing things that brought me joy. I worked in my garden, took the Boy for walks, read books and connected with friends. It was a great summer of no stress and feeling fulfilled.

Fast forward seven years and I am now in a similar position. I am not teaching this summer. There are no classes for me to take this summer. So, I have declared it to be the Summer of Seeking Solace 2.0.  Although I do plan to relax and enjoy the time off, I do have things I would like to accomplish:

  • Try to find a second teaching gig in addition to what I have at HBCU. 
  • I am working on a conference proposal based on proposal for a paper that I wrote for a class. The conference is in California in November, but the proposal is due at the end of May.
  • I am going to suck it up and study for the GRE. Husband has agreed to tutor me for the math portion. My goal is to take it at the end of July. 
  • I am revising my teaching philosophy statement as part of my job search.
Of cousre, I will be catching up on reading for pleasure. My Nook is charged and ready to go. My veggie and herb garden will need attention. Junior and I have our daily walks and jogs. Husband and I have a couple of beach trips planned. The pool in our neighborhood will open for the season next week. I am looking forward to getting together with friends, especially my besties. It's all good.  I am excited for the time off.

With that, I declare the Summer of Seeking Solace 2.0 open!

1 comments:

chicago foodie girl said...

I am so with you! I gave myself a week to laze on the couch & watch bad TV... now it's time to kick my best summertime self into high gear! :-)

Subscribe