The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

"Have To"?

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I have another student who is failing and wants to make up the work, despite not hearing a peep until now. Stu says that there was a death in the family that impacted Stu greatly. Stu says that failure is not an option because he is taking the class for a second time. plus the reason why he failed the first time was because the class was moved to online. So, I have to let him make up the missed work.

I "have to" let him make up the work? "Have to"?

Really?

OK, setting the online vs. onsite part aside, because I do agree that the course I teach is not suited for online learning, how is it that the student gets to dictate what I "have to" and don't "have to" do? I mean, who is in control of how he or she performs in the class?

In the past, I've let someone in this situation make up the work, with a grade penalty. But, what ends up happening is the student doesn't do the work. Then, they come crying to me again, begging for a third chance or asking for extra credit (something I NEVER give). It just ends up being a hassle that I try to avoid by setting up the course in the manner that I do.

It's also not fair to those students who have followed the syllabus and turned in the work on time, or followed my instructions for asking for an extension. What does that say to them? That I don't stand by what I say?

So, I "have to" let him make up the work because he doesn't want to fail. Did he "have to" do the work in the first place? Where is his ownership of the situation?  Again, it's all about consequences for not doing what you are supposed to do.


No, I don't "have to" do anything.

5 comments:

ernise said...

This reeks of "entitlement" by that student. Ugh. No you don't "have to" do anything, but follow the guidelines you initially set-up. If student can't live within those guidelines then student is S**t out of luck.

Belle said...

Totally agree. Stu 'had to' do the work if s/he wanted to pass the class. Stu chose not to, despite the obvious penalties for that choice. Now Stu gets to live with a consequence of their own choice. BFD.

Seeking Solace said...

That what I think. It's all about entitlement. Where was the sense of urgency earlier in the semester? Just really creams my corn!

Nitewriter said...

When I get those "have to" emails I respond with "No, you HAVE TO reschedule this course for next term." Period.

Seeking Solace said...

Nitewriter: Nice! I like that.

Subscribe