The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Sunday, February 02, 2014

Gray Pants

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Everyone has, or should have, that one piece of clothing that makes you feel fabulous, even when you don't feel fabulous. For me, it is my gray dress pants.

The pants are Nine West. I bought the pants many years ago at a store that no longer exists. They are a charcoal gray, straight leg pant with just the right amount of stretch. Since grey is a neutral, anything and everything would go with these pants. They were my "go-to" pants. No matter how I felt about my appearance, I could count on my grey pants. When I had dropped some pounds, I would pin the waist to make them fit. The stretch fabric made them fit well when I pushed past their size 14 tag. Amazingly, they held up well, over the years, never faded or torn. They look brand new.

The last time that I wore my gray was when I was working at Tech College. Although I was losing weight, I still held on to my gray pants. I would pin the waist to make them fit. I suppose I could have taken them to a tailor, but just never made the time to do it. Since leaving Tech College, I have not had the occasion to wear them. So, my gray pants have stayed on the hanger in my closet.

I've been in the process of replacing items in my closet as my weight drops. I have not purchased many items, mainly because I don't want to spend a lot of cash on items that will end up in the donation bag in a few weeks. Also, working from home and taking classes does not necessitate having a huge professional wardrobe. So, I've kept my purchases to basic things.

Now that I am within 2 pounds of my overall goal, I am looking at putting a few professional items in my closet. Also, with job hunting, I don't want to have to run out at the last minute to buy something appropriate to wear for an interview. So with end of season sales in full effect, I ventured out yesterday to find some key pieces that would meet that need and my new size. I found a great pair of all season Ann Taylor black dress pants that were 60% off, plus I had a $20 reward card, which brought the total to $25.00. I love the way the new pants looked in the mirror. Just like my gray pants, they made me feel special and beautiful. And, they show off my new shape quite nicely.

As I went to hang up my new pants in my closet, I realized that I still had the grey pants along with some other dress pants from a year ago. The size on those tags did not reflect my new size.  In line with my "one in, one out" rule, I began to put all of the old dress pants in a shopping bag. When I got to the gray pants, I paused. Part of me did not want to let them go. They had been my "go-to" pants, my security blanket. I could just take them to the tailor and have them made to fit my new body. But,  I also realized that I was entering a new phase in my life. It was time to let go.

I gently folded the gray pants and put them in the donation bag. The pants had served their purpose. It was time for them to help another woman feel special and beautiful.

Just as they had done for me.

0 comments:

Subscribe