The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Thursday, February 06, 2014

Downward Dog

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Yesterday, I did yoga for the first time in a long time. It felt great.

I used to be very dedicated to yoga practice. I started practice when I got my first job as an attorney. The high stress environment put my already high stress, Type A personality into overdrive.  Yoga taught me the need for calm and the importance of breathing. Yoga also helped early in my RA diagnosis. However, as the RA progressed, I found it difficult to practice yoga. Even with the props and modifications, it was difficult to complete and hold the positions. The weight gain didn't help matters as there was too much pressure on my already tender joints.

I've been wanting to get back into practice for a while. I missed the feeling of calm that comes with practice. Also, I wanted something to help tone my arms and core without excess pressure on my joints. I've used light weights, but I like the extra calm that comes with yoga. Also, my RA doc suggested that many of her patients with fibromyalgia have found yoga to be very helpful.

So yesterday, I broke out my old yoga mat and a Rodney Yee video. I found myself gliding through the practice comfortably, with only some minor modification. I noticed a huge difference in my ability to maintain the positions without the excess weight in the way. I also felt that wonderful sensation of calm that comes at the end of a session. I felt energized enough to get through my long Wednesdays.

My goal is to practice twice a week. I think that is reasonable given my current physical heath. And, the mental health benefits will be welcome.

Now, if only Junior would understand that when I do downward-facing dog, it's not a play bow! 

0 comments:

Subscribe