The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, October 18, 2013

Peeling Back the Layers

Posted by Seeking Solace |

It's been a little over a year since I started using the weight loss tracker, Lose It, to help me shed some much needed poundage. I have about 10 pounds to go, which is the hardest to lose. Seriously, it is really tricky. I think it's because the body is adjusting to where my ideal weight should be. My goal is 135 pounds, which is the weight I was before the RA diagnosis. My RA doc and my PCP both believe this is a healthy weight for my frame.

I've enjoyed watching my body go through this change. As the pounds came off, I noticed how powerful my body became. Without the excess weight, my joints could do things that I thought I would not be able to do again. What I also noticed was my perception of how I looked. I've how some women have a hard time embracing their new bodies after significant weight loss. For me, each 10 pound goal is a celebration of how amazing my new body is. I couldn't wait to find new clothes to fit my new body. Of course, that has it's challenges. I can't go crazy shopping for new stuff because within 10-15 weeks, the clothing would be too big. So, I've had to balance my needs vs. my wants clothing-wise. A few pieces of my professional wardrobe went for tailoring. But, I do have about 10 shopping bags of clothing that will go to charity.

This process has also taught me so much about how much to eat. It's not about staving to be thin, it's about realizing how much one really needs to feel full. I am more conscious about portion sizes, which are truly ridiculous. I take my time when I eat, allowing my stomach to catch up with my brain. I didn't give up eating foods that I enjoy. Those of you who know me on FB know that I still eat pizza, chicken wings, and tasty desserts. The trick is balance. And, if I have an off day, it's OK. I'll just do better tomorrow. 

I am on target to reach my goal by the end of the year. I can't wait to see what the end result will bring. I know that the next challenge will be maintenance, I have a plan for that.

I'm in the homestretch.

1 comments:

Karen said...

Everything in moderation...it's the only "diet" that ever worked for me!

You can do it!

Subscribe