The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Sunday, November 04, 2012

t NaBloPoMo 2012: I voted.

Posted by Seeking Solace |

My state has early voting. For the past two weeks, one could go to several polling places and cast their vote prior to traditional Election Day. The lines at the polling places were extremely long; there were reports that people waited in excess of two hours to early vote.

That didn't stop Husband and I from trying to get in on the early voting process. We figured that we would wait until mid-day, thinking that the lines may not be as crazy. Saturday is college football day and since the local team I root for was losing quite badly, we deiced to go vote.

As we approached the voting site, the line wrapped around the building. "At least it's nice outside"  I said to Husband as we took our place in line. I took out my cell phone and started the timer.

As the line inched along, we chatted with the people around us. We met a couple who were from a city not far from Lake Effect Snow Central. We also talked to another woman who was glad that her beach house did not sustain much damage from Hurricane Sandy. I tweeted and updated my status on FB as we waiting to decide who would be in charge.

Two hours, 20 minutes and 36.4 seconds after we took our place in line, I walked out of the polling place with my "I VOTED" sticker. As I waited for Husband, a woman wearing a Rommey shirt was trying to get my attention. She was standing away from the building, so as not to violate the boundary in which people cannot campaign.

"Did you make the right choice today?" she asked.

"Excuse me?: I said.

"Did you make the right choice today?" she asked again.

"Um, I really don't think that's any of your business." I snapped.

"Well, she said, "Would you like a bumper sticker to support Mitt Rommey?"

"No, but I know what you can do with that bumper sticker. Who the hell do you think you are? My vote is my business!" I growled.

Honestly, I was pissed because I don't want to be accosted by anyone after I have voted. I am so sick of the ads, pundits and other crap. I want my TV back. I want all the rhetoric to stop.  Of course, I am not naive. No matter who wins on Tuesday, there will be bitching, moaning and whining. Facebook and Twitter may actually blow up. Even my professor cancelled class for the Wednesday because she figured we would either be really excited or really depressed. But, we would all be really tired after listening to the election results.  Oh, and let's not forget that  in a few months, we will start hearing about who will run in 2016.

At any rate, I voted. I am glad I have the opportunity to exercise my constitutional right.  I am thankful I am able to have a voice.

Now, can I have my TV back?

2 comments:

Karen said...

What on earth is the point of asking AFTER people vote? It's not like you can change your mind!

Belle said...

I'm just enough of a contrarian that I'd have probably responded 'yes, I did, but I see you did not. Go away.'

Subscribe