The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Numbers

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I'm still here. It's just that crazy time in the world of academia. Grading and whining, whining and grading. It just is what it is.

Although, I do find it amusing that students do not understand the difference between being one point and one percentage point between grades. I had a student complain to me yesterday that she could not understand why I couldn't add one point to her grade because that would make her grade a 90% instead of an 89%.

OK, first of all, I don't "give" points. One "earns" points. If you didn't "earn" the points, you will not "earn" the grade.

Second, you need to speak with the math instructor becuase clearly you were absent on the day he or she discussed percentages.

Numbers really don't lie.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a pestering email after semester end that first wanted to know why the failing grade because the student thought we had gotten past "the incident" (like the grade was personal) then after getting the reiterated breakdown of all, wanted to know again if anything could be done (days after final grade submission) and then sent me a final email saying it had been "fifteen hours" since our last "conversation" and wondering why I didn't respond, admonishing me that I planned to say no, I could at least have the courtesy to send a timely response. I was more than happy to do so and then post the auto-out-for-break signature on my email. To FINISHING every semester!

P said...

Oh why they can't understand the give vs. earn phenom, I will never know.

Glad you're wrapping it all up :-)

Alice said...

Sounds veeeeeery familiar! :)

Breena Ronan said...

Many teaching resources suggest that points for a class should just add up to 100 so as not to confuse students.

Subscribe