The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, November 07, 2011

Supreme

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Last Tuesday, I traveled to Washington D.C. to be sworn in to practice law before the US Supreme Court. Although, I am "retired" from the practice of law and have devoted my life to academia, this is one of the true high points of my attorney career.
The cool part about being sworn in, is that the newly admitted attorneys are allowed to sit in the front row. I was right across from Justice Sonia Sotomayor. whom I was convinced was liking my red Manolo Blahniks. I could also see Justice Thomas, who NEVER asks questions during oral arguments, pass notes to Justice Scalia and Justice Breyer. The swearing in part took all of 30 seconds, although Chief Justice Roberts did provide a very nice welcoming statement.

The high point was having the opportunity to listen to oral arguments. There were two cases on the docket. Nothing of huge significance, but the cases were still interesting and important. As usual, Scalia was his crabby self. Justice Kagen asked the most questions. It seems that Justice Ginsburg is starting to slow down just a little.  Mostly, I wanted to tell a couple of the lawyers to "move over" and let me argue this for them. They were just a little too "green". It was just amazing to watch the back and forth in person. I mean, I've read, researched and analyzed their decisions for 15 years. To see the action in person was amazing. Watching the justices pass notes, look like they were sleeping (Justice Alto) and push the attorneys with their questioning was something I will never forget.

My mom and Husband were in attendance. I know how proud they must have felt when they heard the court clerk read my name. I know I was. I am still in awe of the whole thing.

12 comments:

sheepish said...

Wow, that's truly incredible. I can't even begin to imagine how awesome that must have been!

MissDazey said...

I am at AWE of you and your positive accomplishes. Savor the moment and the memories, you deserve every bit of it.

Did you tell your students about this event?

Seeking Solace said...

Sheepish: Thanks!!! Glad to hear from you!

MissDazey: Oh yes! They were amazed. Especially when I told my legal research and writing students about the attorney who did not properly quote a case. The justices ripped him a new one!

Arbitrista said...

That's very exciting!!

Rebecca said...

Congratulations! What an achievement. You are supremely awesome.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an awesome experience! Proud of ya!

Deb aka AbcsOfra said...

Congratulations and I hope you all celebrated. You deserve it!

TiredProf said...

What a wonderful (and much-deserved) experience! Good for you: congratulations!!

rented life said...

So exciting! Congrats again, so proud of you!!

Brigindo said...

You are soooo cool! You don't need 10 reasons to be a rock star, this totally does it.

comebacknikki said...

Woo-hoo! You rock! :-)

Anonymous said...

Congrats SS! What an amazing experience and accomplishment!!!

GML

Subscribe