The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Flares Happen

Posted by Seeking Solace |

After all the excitement and craziness of the last two weeks, there is only one way to top it off.

An RA flare.

Sometimes, you just know when a flare is rearing its ugly head. That familiar twinge of pain in the joints that is more than the usual pain level, the puffy joints, the extreme fatigue.

Sometimes, you don't. The flare just comes out of nowhere. You can't pinpoint to anything, weather, stress...nothing.

Maybe I should have seen this one coming. I've been super busy. But, I thought I was doing everything I could to get rest, protect my joints and other stuff.

But that's what is so insidious about this disease. You can do everything "right", follow the RA doc's orders, do all the self care. But, at some point, a flare is going to happen.

Now, don't think that I am down about this. In the past, I would be devastaed if I had a flare which required a 12 day steriod taper. I would feel defeated, especially after having such a long remission. Like clockwork, the depression would kick in and I would have to build myself up from that dreaded downward spiral of chronic illness.

I have reconciled a long time ago that flares happen. I try to remind myself that it will pass and I will be back on track. It's a part of the illness, but it does not control me. Yes, I have to repeat that mantra often, but I truly believe...

Flares happen.

3 comments:

TiredProf said...

I hope that you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

Hehe... your last two lines are soooo me. If you say enough, it's bound to come true eh? Be well soon! Gentle hugs to you. tammy

David Whitehead said...

So, is this your version of sh** happens. :) Wishing you a quick recovery

Subscribe