The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, November 12, 2010

Cry

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Tonight, Husband gave me my second dose of Embrel.

It hurt so much that I cried. Not like a cry out of pain, but full fledged, tears and shaking crying.

I was so upset that I couldn't go through with my shot of Methotrexate.

That will have to wait for tomorrow.

Poor Husband felt awful. The first time he gave me my Methotrexate shot, I screamed and cried. He hates seeing me in any kind of discomfort. He was so worried that he hurt me. I felt so bad for him. I think it was worse for him than it was for me.

He did everything correctly in giving me the shot. I guess sometimes with the Embrel it can burn or just be painful going in. The needle stays in for a good 20 seconds before the entire medication is dispensed. And, I still have to get the second injection of Methotrexate.

I wish I was not such a wimp with this. I should be tough, right?

9 comments:

dr four eyes said...

So sorry you're having to deal with this! Shots are never really fun and at-home shots are worse.

Chica's had to give me some shots at home recently. The medicine doesn't burn as with yours, but it's still not fun.

I work really hard at relaxing before the shot (as paradoxical as it sounds), especially if they have to be intramuscular rather than into fatty tissue. It helps if I'm sleepy to begin with (as in it's early morning and I'm not quite awake) and if I have no involvement whatsoever with preparing the mix (my meds don't come pre-prepared). I breathe deeply, visualize my favorite beach in Hawaii, all that stuff.

You may well be doing all of this and more, and it sounds like your meds are more irritating than mine going in.

I hope the shots get better and, especially, that the meds help and make the trauma of the shots worth it. Until then, hugs!

Brigindo said...

You are tough. Tougher than most of us. Everyone is allowed to cry when it hurts. Be kind to yourself. I'm sorry you're going through this and hope the medicine helps.

RageyOne said...

If it's painful, it's painful. Nothing you can do about that. Perhaps something to squeeze in your hand while he's giving you the injection?

So sorry you're having to go through that pain.

Psycgirl said...

You're super tough - I agree that if it hurts, it hurts. Taking the injections wasn't an easy decision, that was tough too. Many hugs!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry it was painful for you. And you are very tough. Tougher than most. I'm sure the boy will make you feel better.
Long distance hugs.

GML

Breena said...

Beorn says the Enbrel shot is worse than the Methotrexate shot. He gets auto-injectors for the Enbrel, so he does them himself. He doesn't cry, but he does make all sorts of moans and groans. He also complains a lot, so I think you should be allowed to do whatever you have to do. RA really sucks.

Addy N. said...

So sorry you and husband have to go through that. I am a HUGE wimp about needles, so I can't even imagine. Sending hugs. :(

Seeking Solace said...

Thanks everyone. You all are awesome.

Breena: I have the injector thing too. I think I didn't let the stuff out long enough. I waited 45 minutes, maybe I should wait an hour.

The methotrexate shot isn't too bad, but it still sucks. :(

TiredProf said...

I'm so sorry about this (just getting caught up with reading blog posts). I HATE shots and do everything I can to avoid them, but I'm not in the position of needing them. I hope you're able to do something nice for yourself (and H) afterwards.

Subscribe