The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, October 15, 2010

That Would Be Me

Posted by Seeking Solace |

We had a visit from our accreditation body this week. My department was up for review. It was the last week of drop/add and the first full week of classes. That meant a second week of four 12 hour days.

I had an emergency appointment with my RA doc because of the extreme fatigue, joint pain and inflammation. Seems that the steroid treatment I did last week didn't take.

So, guess who is now on a 12 day steroid treatment?

Because I have not received much relief in two months with two steroid tapers and the increase in methotrexate, my RA doc thinks it's time to go full force.

Guess who's going to start treatment with biologic drugs?

I am not sure which drug I will be taking, or if I will be going the injection or IV infusion route. My RA doc and her PA gave me a ton of literature to review. Both encourage me to ask questions, so that Husband and I can make the best choice.

I knew that this would happen at some point in my fight with RA. I just thought I wouldn't have to deal with it now. I know there are a lot of folks out there who use these drugs and do very well on them. I guess it's just the fear of the unfamiliar.

On the flip-side, I am hopeful that this will give me back my life. The last two weeks really could not be helped. I mean, it was the perfect storm. I wasn't the only one who had such a hellish schedule. A colleague had comps this week for his PhD. I can't imagine how he is feeling right now. And, unlike the last college where I worked, people are really supportive and helpful. Even my students give me a hand.

So, I shouldn't be worried. But, I am a little sad and frustrated.

5 comments:

Brigindo said...

Sorry for this turn of events but hopefully the new drugs will give you some relief.

Psycgirl said...

Many hugs Seeking - I hope you find the right treatment that brings you back to normal, ASAP

Alice said...

I hope you're feeling better soon. We had accreditation visit and midterms this past weeks so feeling for you.

RageyOne said...

I hope this line of treatment provides you relief.

comebacknikki said...

Aww, girlie, I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you feel better soon!

Subscribe