I spent quite some time reading all the information about the different biologic drugs that my RA doc has recommended. I've even posted on the Arthritis Foundation page for guidance. Of course, the advice there is all over the map.
I am so confused that it's knocking me sideways*.
- There are three choices, two are self injected and one is IV infusion. I am not sure if the two that are injected can be done by infusion.
- The injections are kinda brutal. Some have complained of serious pain when giving the injections, which doesn't help a needle-phobic like me.
- There are the injections that are like an EpiPen, but just watching it on the video almost made me pass out.
- Somehow, having an IV in my arm for two hours every few weeks does not sound so bad. But, I would have block out time for that.
- Two out of the three drugs are covered by insurance. That's a huge factor. The out of pocket expense is huge.
- It will be another case of trial and error to see which drug will work best. That could take a few months.
And there are the other issues
- I must have a conversation with my boss and others at work. I can't do two weeks of four 12 hours days again if they want me to keep working.
- I am seriously considering hiring someone to clean my house twice a month. I don't feel right about it. I guess it's part of that blue collar work ethic I grew up with that makes the thought of something like that seem so wrong.
- I am trying to keep my spirits up without worrying Husband that I will fall into a depressive spiral.
These feelings won't go away...
*I've been listening to Sheryl Crow's remake of Sideways by Citizen Cope. Deep stuff.