The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sideways

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I spent quite some time reading all the information about the different biologic drugs that my RA doc has recommended. I've even posted on the Arthritis Foundation page for guidance. Of course, the advice there is all over the map.

I am so confused that it's knocking me sideways*.

  • There are three choices, two are self injected and one is IV infusion. I am not sure if the two that are injected can be done by infusion.
  • The injections are kinda brutal. Some have complained of serious pain when giving the injections, which doesn't help a needle-phobic like me.
  • There are the injections that are like an EpiPen, but just watching it on the video almost made me pass out.
  • Somehow, having an IV in my arm for two hours every few weeks does not sound so bad. But, I would have block out time for that.
  • Two out of the three drugs are covered by insurance. That's a huge factor. The out of pocket expense is huge.
  • It will be another case of trial and error to see which drug will work best. That could take a few months.

And there are the other issues

  • I must have a conversation with my boss and others at work. I can't do two weeks of four 12 hours days again if they want me to keep working.
  • I am seriously considering hiring someone to clean my house twice a month. I don't feel right about it. I guess it's part of that blue collar work ethic I grew up with that makes the thought of something like that seem so wrong.
  • I am trying to keep my spirits up without worrying Husband that I will fall into a depressive spiral.

These feelings won't go away...

*I've been listening to Sheryl Crow's remake of Sideways by Citizen Cope. Deep stuff.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hire someone to clean. I totally get the hesitation but the first thing I'm going to do when I get full time work is find someone to clean--either a small business I can support or a service that treats its employees well. I absolutely think in your case you should do it.

JMKH said...

Well, hugs first and foremost. I can vouch for the benefits of. having a cleaning person come in every other week to dust and vaccuum and mop the floors. There's still laundry to do and other assorted chores, so unless you decide to pay for more services, you'll still have work to do--just not the hardest tasks.

MissDazey said...

First, I agree with other comments, it's OK to get cleaning person. If nothing else, think of it as a business expense.

Your lists of pros and cons was very interesting. Your doctor sure was nicer than mine to give you different choices. (I can't take meds, nor afford them)It is a serious decision, glad you have husband to go over things with.

Stay as strong and sweet as I know you are. Angels on you!

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Hire someone to clean -- trust me, it will make things much easier. Look for independet folks -- ask your students if they know anybody etc... that's how I found my person. She was a godsend during chemo and dissertation writing.

You hire people to do other things, why is cleaning your house different? You aren't hiring them to pick up after you -- but rather to do the work you can't do because of your schedule and your RA... that's ok.

Anonymous said...

Yes get someone to clean!! I've done that at various times over the years. Sometimes it's once a week, sometimes once a month. I've hired services (which I didn't like) and individuals who advertised in local business media. I've also at times gotten a high school or college student to clean for some extra cash.

Surprisingly enough, the high school students do a better job than any of the services I've used :-)

Psycgirl said...

I agree with everyone else about the cleaning person. You will also be employing someone who wants and needs the work...

Re: the infusion vs IV. Infusion means setting aside time, but it can also be time where you do nothing or read a book or grade or whatever you want to do. I'm all for infusion time = me time

(That's the only positive reframe I could think of!)

rented life said...

Gentle hugs. If you want some advice on hiring a cleaning person, you know I've been a maid and I can tell you what to look for and what to ask. Don't feel guilty, consider hiring someone like me--cleaning allowed me flexible hours to still do grad school, but also the much needed cash.

Hang in there SS. If I have to I'll get a crew from LES area to come down and cheer you up.

Seeking Solace said...

Wow. Thanks everyone. I was feeling pretty guilty, but you all made me feel better.

Subscribe