The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Rising

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I had an exceptional week at my college.

  • The students named me Professor of the Term. I got a really cool engraved pen, a framed award and my name on the plaque that hangs outside the Academic department.
  • I had my annual review where I received nothing lower than a 4.1 out of 5.
  • I found out that since being named director of the program, I have a 91% retention rate and increased enrollment 150%.
  • I got a 4% raise.

Dudes, I am speechless. I have only been with College for a year. And you all know the drama that occurred when I was first hired (Remember the "B"?) I mean, I knew that things were going well with the program with enrollment and retention. But, I had no idea it was that good.

In all my years as an attorney and an academic, I've never experienced this level of praise. Sure, I've had achievements, but the amount of praise and support from those in power is something I am not used to receiving. In my past experience, I would receive back-handed compliments for my achievements. Nothing sucks the wind out of your sails when someone in power says, "Yeah that's great what you did, but actually, you suck."

For me, this is uncharted territory. When the back-handed compliment or the "Yeah, but" didn't come. I started to realize that I really know what the hell I am doing and that those in power actually believe in me. I've always lived in this world of uncertainty, always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Or, I would question the sincerity of the person giving the praise. This time it's different. I feel like I can receive praise without feeling like their are strings attached.

I'm going to ride this wave for a while.

13 comments:

Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

Wow, you are a superstar!!! Congratulations!

Scrivener said...

You're a rock star! Congratulations! I'm so glad that you're getting the recognition you deserve.

rented life said...

You're awesome and now there's proof other people see it too!! :) congrats, you deserve it!!!

Psycgirl said...

Seeking, you ROCK! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I always said that you were the best instructor while we were teaching at Dysfunctional College.
So great that other people realize it!

GML

Rebecca said...

You're appreciated, as well you should be. But there are so many times that many of us could be appreciated for what we do, and we're just not. To be able to actually see black and white metrics of your accomplishments is so wonderful. But to actually receive appreciation for your achievements from your students, your peers and those who who have your career in their hands? What an incredibly fabulous experience that is.

I am so very happy for you. Congratulations!

Leslie M-B said...

Congratulations! All the attention is well-deserved!

Brigindo said...

It's been obvious to all of us out here how much work you've been doing and the superstar that you are. Glad they had the good sense to let you know.

TiredProf said...

Congratulations! I hope this makes you feel great, as your hard work and headaches have paid off. Good for you!!

Karen said...

Go you! Congrats on the honor!!

Alice said...

So happy for you!!!

comebacknikki said...

Awesome! Congratulations, girlie! :)

Anonymous said...

How great is that!! Congrats!

Subscribe