The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Honor

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Yesterday, I was called into the Dean's office for a chat. I am always a little nervous because paranoid me is always thinking "Crap, what did I do or not do."

Instead, it was good news. He informed me that he recommended me for leadership training within the college. This is specialized training that can lead to possible promotion to other administrative positions within the college. He says that although I have only been with the college for less than a year and I have demonstrated solid work and initiative, he believes I have the potential to move up in the system.

Wow!!!

What's incredible is that only one person per year is sent to this training. That's one person campus-wide, including faculty and staff!!! And I was picked!!!!

Wow!!!!

So, tonight I am updating my CV and working on the paperwork. It will be a lot of work, and I am not sure if I even want to move away from my current position. But, I am thinking that the experience is so worth it. And who knows what will happen.

Wow...I am honored! Of course I am honored to be chosen. But, I so happy to finally be working for an institution that wants people to move on up. Anastasia wrote about how many institutions do not encourage adjuncts to move up to TT positions. There is no pathway to TT status, no encouragement. It's just "No TT position for you!" That was so the case at the last place I worked. I was told to not even think about a TT position because there was no justification for it in General Studies and besides my doctorate is not a real doctorate (Another sore subject). But the thing is, there is nothing glamorous about adjudicating, particularly if one needs the adjuncting gig to survive and make ends meet. Chump change doesn't even begin to describe it.

At my college, it seems that there are opportunities to move up, if one wishes to do so. Granted, it may take a semester or two since the campus is relatively new. But, for once I can say that I am working at a place where hard work and drive is rewarded. That makes me happy.

Very happy!

15 comments:

Nels P. Highberg said...

Woo hoo! You go, girl!

Rebecca said...

Oh, way to go! To be the one person of the year chosen from the entire campus? That is such an honor. I am so happy for you that thing are working out so well in your new job and new location. It really was worth putting up with all that drama at the beginning. Congratulations!

rented life said...

Congrats! You deserve it!!!

Brigindo said...

Congrats! That's wonderful news

jo(e) said...

Congratulations!

Musey_Me said...

Excellent news! Congrats!

Alice said...

Congratulations!

undine said...

Congrats!

Breena Ronan said...

Yay! That is wonderful news! Much deserved I am sure.

Seeking Solace said...

Thanks everyone!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you!

RageyOne said...

that's awesome! you're so deserving and i'm happy to hear of this opportunity for you! can't wait to hear more about it as you progress.

comebacknikki said...

Awesome! Congrats, girlie! :)

TiredProf said...

Way to go (my laptop's been in the shop, so just catching up)!

Anonymous said...

congrats, that is awesome!

Subscribe